Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
I just realized that i am Cthulu 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Post I just realized that i am Cthulu
I am a colossal, ancient being. And all of my immeasurable resources are bent on the destruction of this fly in my house.

Think about how weird we are to a fly.

Flies live for a very short time and i've been alive for more than thirty YEARS. My brain is the mass of several thousand flies. I have pondered the mysterious depths of the universe on an incomprehensible level (for flies). Paper can crush a fly's body, yet even steel will bend to my constricting meaty arms, each comparably are like freeway on-ramps to a fly.

I have already been the doom of countless of it's bretheren. Which i smote, with my godlike power, for the unforgivable sin of tresspassing in my sacred places. It survives here in this abbaration of nature (my house) by literally being beneath my notice, until by chance it draws my functionally limitless wrath by flying past a light. Then i utter arcane and ancient sounds, a binding curse of imminent death, fashion weapons of adamantine strength and slay it with a flick of my wrist.

I am an eldrich horror.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Chris OConnor, Interbane, mostly_harmless, youkrst
Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:39 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: I just realized that i am Cthulu
Imagining the fly's eye view is a bit like thinking about being a bat. Imagining an animal's perspective is very interesting. Is Cthulhu really that big?

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:21 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

:lol:

Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

It's been a while, but yeah Cthulu is kaiju sized. The thing I remember most clearly is that he was supposed to have risen out of the sea and it was towering over a ship.

I suppose I COULD google this.... haha

but no. Lazy.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:43 pm
Years of membershipYears of membership
Intern

Highscores: 5

johnson1010 wrote:
It's been a while, but yeah Cthulu is kaiju sized. The thing I remember most clearly is that he was supposed to have risen out of the sea and it was towering over a ship.

I suppose I COULD google this.... haha

but no. Lazy.

Your memory is correct.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:54 pm
Profile Email
Years of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Don't even know what anyone's talking about, just here for the ride.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

Ya know, you reminded me of how I recently, finally read "The Call of Cthulu" by Lovecraft. In fact I read a compendium of short stories by him. This, after for years and years seeing and hearing his name bandied about as a "must-read" author for any sci-fi/horror/fantasy fans. A demographic to which I think I am an ardent member of.

So..yeah...I read Cthulu and about 6-8 other short stories by HP. And I cam away from all this thinking......

YAWN! Really? Why is this dude so popular? He bored me to tears. I simply do. not. get. it. I remember back in the day seeing his name as the original writer of some of those old "Night Gallery" episodes I used to watch. And maybe some on the old "Twilight Zone" as well; I'm not sure. But man....I guess back in the day maybe he did some stuff that was new then. But today I find him hopelessly boring, wordy, and obsolete.

To each their own I guess. But maybe you should pic a more terrifying mythical being to use as your psychological avatar, eh? Just a suggestion. thanks.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.