• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Fiction Thrillers & Mysteries With Historical Backdrops

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
NisargVadiya290580
Official Newbie!

Fiction Thrillers & Mysteries With Historical Backdrops

Unread post

Hi All,

Can you suggest the titles?

Thanks

NV
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Fiction Thrillers & Mysteries With Historical Backdrops

Unread post

I can't think of any offhand. If you like historical fiction I strongly recommend The March by E. L. Doctorow.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Old Reb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Here's a few to look for.

1. Roman history based fiction: Anything by Steven Saylor, Simon Scarrow or Harry Sidebottom. Saylor's works cover the Roman Republic up to Julius Caesar. Scarrow or Sidebottom the early Empire period from 1st to 3rd centuries AD.
2. Medieval Period: Anything by Ken Follett, Edward Rutherford, Bernard Cornwell, or Tim Willocks. Bernard Cornwell covers the Hundred Years war period between England and France (roughly 1326-1415) and the Napoleonic Era (The Richard Sharpe series), Ken Follett middle ages England (1000-1400). Tim Willocks 16th Century Europe.
3. Civil War era: There are many authors but Jeff Shaara is the best. He has written great novels about the Mexican War (1846-1848), War for Independence, World Wars I and II.

This ought to be enough to get you started!
7seas
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I thoroughly enjoyed the suspense and the intricate fabrication of Umberto Eco: The name of the rose, set in a monastery in 1327. Great movie, too.
Old Reb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

One author I forgot to mention-Wilbur Smith. He writes about ancient Egypt (BCE) and Africa (roughly 1600 to 20th Century). Wilbur Smith has been around a LONG time and I've really enjoyed all of his books.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”