• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Where has civility gone in American society?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Old Reb
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: Where has civility gone in American society?

Unread post

I know nothing about the Frankfurt theory, but to me there is absolutely no difference between Antifa and the KKK. Both are violent extremist wings of the left and right that are trying to tear apart our country.

Have you seen any conservatives out there trying to deface or remove statues of Dr. Martin Luther King or rioting uncontrolled in the streets? I haven't. If Antifa gets their way you won't see any monuments in this country except for those depicting Lenin, Stalin or Mao.

I didn't vote for President Obama either time and thought that his policies, both foreign and domestic were terrible. However I didn't run around howling at the moon about it. I respected his position as President and figured that when his term was up voters would turn the other way (and they did). I got over it and Antifa needs to do the same. Midterm elections are coming up next year-the presidential election in 2020. Don't like President Trump and the Republicans? Get out there and organize politically to support candidates with your beliefs and quit running around in the streets destroying property!

After the Confederate statues nonsense, I protest in my own quiet way by wearing my Stars & Bars colors every day when I go out.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Old Reb wrote:I protest in my own quiet way by wearing my Stars & Bars colors every day when I go out.
You do realize that this is like saying to every black person you meet, "I think you should be in chains, for being black" right?
Old Reb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Not in the least. It simply means to me that I am proud of of Texas and it's part in Civil War history. Slavery was a cause of the war, but not the main one. Most soldiers in the CSA never owned a single slave. They were just fighting for independence.

I'm sorry to have brought this up. This thread has gotten away from the main issue I posted about so I'm just going to leave it alone from now on.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Old Reb wrote:Not in the least. It simply means to me that I am proud of of Texas and it's part in Civil War history.
My parents tried mightily to teach me that what I think I mean is often less important than how other people will take my meaning. I don't always remember that either.
Old Reb wrote:I'm sorry to have brought this up. This thread has gotten away from the main issue I posted about so I'm just going to leave it alone from now on.
Well, honestly, if you want to talk about civility but proudly claim to mean whatever you want it to mean when you display a badge of racism, I think it might be a good thing you brought it up.

A person could wear a KKK outfit and say "it just means I want restrictions on immigration" since, at one point, that was one of the things the KKK stood for. But please.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

LevV wrote:
Rather than discuss Haidt's The Righteous Mind as we did the first time, here is another way to explore one of his key ideas from the book.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone is familiar with these groups and more specifically, if you think a modified version could be successful over the internet on Book Talk.
Sorry for not responding, LevV, I was in a cabin in the woods for a week. I think your idea is great, and thanks for directing me to Haidt's website. I will look into that. It seems to me that everyone, especially on the internet, needs to just about bend over backward to avoid doing exactly what Haidt says is ingrained in our natures: to react righteously, or self-righteously. It's so tempting and feels good to hold forth and blast some "ignorant" person whom we will never have to face in real life. I'm trying to avoid getting into that.

I have my own little scenario that I invoke to put into perspective our disagreements on politics and religion. I'm in a bad situation, needing help, maybe have run my car into a ditch and am injured. I'm not going to care about the politics of the good person who stops to help me. It's the same when a natural disaster has occurred--those things seem insignificant in such a situation, so why can't we adopt the same attitude in normal times?
CindyAuthor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

these "if" scenarios rub me the wrong way, there just way to many factors.

Return to “Current Events & History”