Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Hurricane Irma is heading right at me... 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Hurricane Irma is heading right at me...
Just to keep people in the loop I am directly in the path of Category 5 hurricane Irma. I won't be responding to emails or able to do much of anything until this passes. Hopefully it doesn't do as much damage as we're all worried it will. Just know I'm not neglecting anyone or my duties here on BookTalk.org. I'm dealing with the worst hurricane I have ever experienced since I arrived in Florida 36 years ago.

Casual Chat Every Thursday at 9:00 pm Eastern in the BookTalk.org Chat Room! Read More

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Harry Marks, Penelope, Robert Tulip
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Hurricane Irma is heading right at me...
Hi Chris
Thinking of you and others in Florida at this difficult and dangerous time.
Robert

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:21 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I dumpster dive for books!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: Hurricane Irma is heading right at me...
Wow, best of luck! Perhaps the supernatural powers of the Scientologists in that area will keep everything safe. :x
Are you riding it out or evacuating?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern

Silver Contributor

Hoping for the best possible outcome Chris, as you and your family go through this horrendous experience. My brother has a newly renovated winter home in Bonito Springs and we have other friends with homes on the gulf side so we are following Irma very closely.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Chris,

You understand who I am so I am praying for you and your family. You have been on my heart as I have watched Irma move west, away from a path toward me, on the east side of Florida. The latest forecast is for Irma to be a 3 and perhaps weakening by the time it gets to you. Please let us know how you make out.

I have lived in East Central Florida, just across the river from the Kennedy Space Center for 40 years and in South Brevard County for 20 years before that. The first hurricane I experienced was Hurricane Donna which hit on or around September 10, 1960 - 57 years ago.

Stay safe, be smart and be careful after the storm passes. Wash your hands well after working outside stay away from puddles and look for down power lines, I believe that most hurricane related deaths happen after the storm passes. Also, be careful if you are using a generator.

Your friend
Wayne

where n are natural numbers.

The following user would like to thank stahrwe for this post:
Harry Marks, Penelope
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:29 am
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

Hey Chris
Stay safe man, You have my be well thoughts and whishes. It will pass and things will be ok again.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:58 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Stupendously Brilliant

Silver Contributor

Currently the winds are not so bad, I will experience the worst this storm has to offer several hours prior to Chris. The worst will be the tidal surge, at least that's what the authorities are telling us. I am riding it out with family and friends. We are in a fairly well fortified building. It is actually a commercial fish house. My friends are commercial fishers. The elevation is about 12 feet.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile Email
Stupendously Brilliant

Silver Contributor

The winds are getting stronger, the eye of the storm is about two hours away. Some trees have fallen and electricity is out. Running on back up power. There's about twenty people about half women and children. There's eight dogs and three cats. Watching and waiting.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:45 pm
Profile Email
Stupendously Brilliant

Silver Contributor

The storm has been drastically downgraded to a cat 2, The eye is passing now, it is hitting people to the east of my location harder.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:50 pm
Profile Email
Stupendously Brilliant

Silver Contributor

The storm has passed, the winds are slowing and people here are going to bed. My brother and I have been to both our houses and his marina. There are many fallen trees and branches to be cleared out but no damage to our houses. Of the ruffly 70 boats dry docked only one fell over. It looks like the wind wiggled it loose from some of the support stands and it rolled on it's side, in the morning we will rite it and be back in business. Still no electricity or water pressure,but that's expected.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Will Work for Books!

Wow, three in this community in the path! Keeping you all in my thoughts. Taylor, thanks for the updates.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

There were so many tornado warnings for Brevard County Sunday night that the local weather guys said they were going to stop announcing the warnings. Advised us to get in our safe place and stay there. Of course I did not. Wind whistling and howling, rotating thunderstorms passing over our area at 75mph-100mph, 10+ inches of rain but no damage to our property. We lost power 9/11/17 about 2AM, got it back about 3pm on 9/12.

Haven't heard from Chris yet

where n are natural numbers.

The following user would like to thank stahrwe for this post:
Harry Marks
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Scientific American has a good article on the causal link between hurricane strength and climate change. Like a baseball player on steroids who hits more homers, global warming means that overall storms are worse these days.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... onnection/

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Thanks for all the messages everyone!

We made it through Hurricane Irma with no damage at all. It took many days to prepare for what we thought would be a Cat 3+ Hurricane but it ended up being no more than 80 mph gusts at best. That's a Cat 1 and actually quite enjoyable for a Floridian. I'm not joking. I look forward to decent storms like that because it brings people together. I now know many of my neighbors much more closely because I helped several of them put the hurricane shutters on their homes. About a dozen family members came to my house to hide from the storm because our home is of block construction and not in a storm surge area. We had a good time. And we never lost power even though 2/3 of the state of Florida was without power.

Casual Chat Every Thursday at 9:00 pm Eastern in the BookTalk.org Chat Room! Read More

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.