Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
End Times 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Authors are MY fans!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

End Times
I've been interested in people who believe the world is about to end. Usually they think the end will come in about 15 years, far enough off that it's difficult to go back and disprove their prediction. "Hey, 15 years ago you said Jesus would come back right about now and cast billions of the unrighteous into eternal flames, what's up with that?" Those conversations rarely happen so the date just keeps pushing into the future as it has for thousands of years.

However I watched a guy talking about end times on one of "those" channels a few days ago and he said "the clock" started ticking with the formation of Israel in 1948. The generation that saw that would be the last one on earth. The longest a generation is said to last is 70 years, therefore he claimed the end of the world could arrive in 2018. At the end of next year he'll be saying "A generation is 80 years, therefore 2028" and no one will question his scholarship.

Now here's a claim that the world will end on 9/23/17. He hasn't learned from numerous previous predictors that you shouldn't be too specific because you'll become a laughingstock.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/09/ ... claim.html

Any other End Times predictions out there? :P

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:49 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: End Times
The traditional fundamentalist theories of "the end of the world" involve a basic error. The term mistranslated "world" in the Bible is "Aeon", which actually means "Age". Aeon is best understood to mean Zodiac Age, in line with the pervasive concealed use of this vision of time in the Bible. Pervasive hostility towards astrology has forced suppression of this basic fact, and allowed the crazy idea to get traction that the world will end. It will not. The coherent meaning of this eschatological idea of the End of the Age is that the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is the dawn of the Age of Aquarius, understood as a time of transformation and repair, not collapse. It is possible to analyse this Zodiac Age concept scientifically against pure astronomy, leaving out all speculative interpretation. For example, the Milankovitch Cycles illustrate the major impact of zodiac ages, producing 'seasons' analogous to the seasons of the year, and to the diurnal pattern of night and dark. Christian eschatology fits perfectly within this scientific framework, but the interdisciplinary nature of the topic, connecting religion and astronomy, has meant that it has not been thoroughly explained as yet. That is what I plan to do.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Quantity AND Quality

The only end time for any of us is when we die.

People forget that the bible is representing what happens in our minds/brains.

Theosis and apotheosis, in allegorical terms, are what end times are supposed to represent. Kind of like killing our own egos and being born again with a Christ mind.

The kind of thing these quotes speaks to.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

I have claimed to have pushed my apotheosis and it is quite close to mentally dying in the sense that preconceptions get killed and are replaced with a fuller conception of reality.

Ideas die, not people when we are reborn during our end times.

Regards
DL

The following user would like to thank Gnostic Bishop for this post:
Harry Marks
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:35 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Authors are MY fans!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

In contrast to the above, I expect there are massive and violent egos involved with some of these End Timers. "Billions of losers have died before, but The Lord has selected ME to witness the wonders of His Final Genocide."

Here are some details from David Meade, predictor of the sudden appearance of Planet X tomorrow, who claims he has been misquoted.
Quote:
Before we proceed, let’s summarize some important points:
1. Nothing is expected to happen in September.
2. It is possible at the end of October we may be about to enter into the seven-year Tribulation period, to be followed by a Millennium of peace.
3. When Wormwood (Revelation 8 ) is on close approach to Earth sometime during the Tribulation, you’ll have solar flares and a possible loss of the electrical grid for weeks, maybe longer.
4. However, that’s the main risk I see right now because, as I’ve stated in my book, right after the initial solar flare risk I see the Rapture of the true Church.
5. Pretty cool–we’re all gone.

...What amazes me is that this new generation does not engage in critical thinking.

9/20/17
http://planetxnews.com/2017/09/20/tribu ... d-october/

:lolflag:

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Who was that old man that said the world was going to end 3 to 5 years ago? We talked about him here on BookTalk.org. He is now dead but that was fun watching the date come and go.

Casual Chat Every Thursday at 9:00 pm Eastern in the BookTalk.org Chat Room! Read More

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

six years ago...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_end_ ... ld_Camping

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:02 am
Profile Email WWW
Authors are MY fans!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I'd really like to know who this woman is and what she's up to now...

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
Interbane
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:27 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Me too!

LOL

Casual Chat Every Thursday at 9:00 pm Eastern in the BookTalk.org Chat Room! Read More

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:29 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

It's a potent mix - being sure you understand secret knowledge that most others don't, and a sense of apocalyptic urgency about allegiance to values. ("Apocalypse" means "revelation"). No wonder people keep getting sucked into it like Pizzagate on the internet.

Apocalyptic belief seems to have emerged among the Jews over the loss of independence to "rational" Hellenists of the Antiochus branch. (Apologies to Robert, who understands an entirely different strand of this tradition, but I am happy to think they mixed together freely). These Hellenists were, of course, people who believed their ways were the true and reasonable ways, and therefore forbade circumcision, for example. Enough Jews could see how empire worked to realize they were never going to be rivals to Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece or Rome, and some of them concluded that God was getting ready to move in and take over when the Jews managed to be righteous enough. Yet collaborators, such as the Herodians, kept selling out their revelation. It made for nasty demonization of enemies.

It also sounds somewhat reminiscent of our time (and maybe any time). Does nuclear armament determine what is just? Are we all just bullies on the playground, saying "Make me!" because we can? All will be revealed.

Last edited by Harry Marks on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:44 am
Profile Email
Authors are MY fans!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Wow, David Meade has been busy!

Quote:
DOOMSDAY POSTPONED FOR THIRD TIME: WILL THE WORLD EVER END?

The end of the world has been rescheduled—again. Now, conspiracy theorists say we have another month to go before an apocalypse, brought on by the appearance of a mystery 10th planet called Nibiru, threatens to wipe out the earth.
In September, conspiracy theorist David Meade’s doomsday prediction made global headlines. But when the world was still intact after the supposed event on September 23, he rescheduled the impending apocalypse to October 15. That date, too, has come and gone with no sign of Nibiru or the prophesied rapture.

Now, a conspiracy website called Planet X News, for which Meade is an occasional contributor, is predicting a series of cataclysmic earthquakes beginning November 19.
http://www.newsweek.com/doomsday-postpo ... end-695942

Keeping up with these shifting prophecies is stressful! :lol:

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:24 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'm so nervous. Right before Thanksgiving too. I HATE when the world ends before a major holiday.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 pm
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor

Harry Marks wrote:
It's a potent mix - being sure you understand secret knowledge that most others don't, and a sense of apocalyptic urgency about allegiance to values.
This problem of alleged “secret knowledge” has made end times thinking the domain of crackpots. All concepts of “the end of the world” that are not based squarely on scientific knowledge are rubbish. And yet, there is enough within science alone to justify an interest in this topic, from the perspective of the risk of human extinction. An excellent scientific paper https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ols_method I just read explains that with climate change, there is a real risk of the ocean Thermohaline Circulation being disrupted by the addition of polar meltwater, as has often happened in the past. And that poses a major risk of the deep ocean becoming stratified, which would basically be curtains for us, since when that happened at the Permian Extinction 95% of marine species and 70% of land species went extinct.

The climate apocalypse is the real risk of the end of the world. The interesting thing though about religious visions is that they can have an unconscious distorted concept of the actual risk, and so do have some symbolic merit, even if the actual claims from literal scripture are stupid. Where the religious symbolism is most interesting is with the scientific hypothesis that the original meaning of ‘the end of the world’ was based on the astronomical shift from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius interpreted as the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Harry Marks wrote:
("Apocalypse" means "revelation").
Yes, in ancient Greek, but the two words have developed different nuance in English. Apocalypse is now closer to disaster, while revelation retains more of its positive content of enlightenment.
Harry Marks wrote:
No wonder people keep getting sucked into it like Pizzagate on the internet.
Going back to your “potent mixture” phrase, I think the proper agenda in this material should be to take an entirely scientific view. We should aim to see the alleged ‘secret knowledge’ as information which in fact is readily accessible to objective research, like the Permian Extinction and, to a more conflicted extent, the Zodiac Ages.

The problem here is that these world-affecting topics remain largely unknown because people don’t want to know about them since they are so scary. Within the creationist tradition, people prefer the crackpot idea of divine intervention as somehow more comforting than science. The risks of extinction and social transformation are seen as too big to study dispassionately, so instead these perceptions bubble up through the popular subconscious in symbolic form.
Harry Marks wrote:
Apocalyptic belief seems to have emerged among the Jews over the loss of independence to "rational" Hellenists of the Antiochus branch. (Apologies to Robert, who understands an entirely different strand of this tradition, but I am happy to think they mixed together freely).
Well yes, I would quibble with your term “over” which asserts that the visions of Jewish apocalyptic literature were caused by the Hellenistic conquests rather than just seeing the emergence of those visions in correlation with the secular politics.

Yes, Jewish national identity was a big driver of apocalyptic thinking during the emergence of the common era under Greece and Rome. But I also believe we should not discount a deeper religious motivation for such literature, a movement led by Platonic Gnostic astronomer-priests who understood the cosmology of fall and redemption on world-historical scale, intermixing the narrowly Jewish traditions with all the other mythologies extending from India to Rome in order to create the Noble Lie of Jesus Christ.

The New Testament presents an ambiguous vision of apocalyptics, mixing together the immediate politics of the day with a larger vision on a longer time scale. We also must take into account that the intense political censorship under Christendom meant the original apocalyptic visions were suppressed. They exist only in fragments and symbols which provide an archaeological ‘foot of Hercules’ with tantalising clues as to the size and nature of the whole.
Harry Marks wrote:
These Hellenists were, of course, people who believed their ways were the true and reasonable ways, and therefore forbade circumcision, for example.
The Greek cult of logic is at the root of the secular dismissal of mythology. The cult of reason ironically has developed its own myths, its own unquestioned assumptions about core meaning, such as laicity, progress and the myth of the individual.

The claimed rationality of Western Logic, with its shallow mockery of mythology, has been central to the inability to investigate and psychoanalyse the apocalyptic genre and its symbols.
Harry Marks wrote:
Enough Jews could see how empire worked to realize they were never going to be rivals to Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece or Rome, and some of them concluded that God was getting ready to move in and take over when the Jews managed to be righteous enough.
This phrase “God was getting ready to move in and take over” to me typifies the instinctive mockery and disdain that modern culture has for apocalyptics. I prefer instead to explore how the writers of apocalyptics were dealing in symbolic language, that was not understood by the masses, meaning that rather than the simplistic magic of an intervention by God, we should use the heuristic that all such language emerged from a high Platonic Noble Lie, a sophisticated vision of reality that was presented in veiled form for a mass audience.

The entire prophetic tradition in the Old Testament emerged from the political strategic recognition that Israel as a tiny state between big empires could not achieve security from military power alone, but required diplomacy, reputation, social unity and shared vision, all of which could best be secured, so they thought, through the hierarchical patriarchal monotheism of the Yahwist cult.
Harry Marks wrote:
Yet collaborators, such as the Herodians, kept selling out their revelation. It made for nasty demonization of enemies.
I prefer to think the authors had a longer term vision. They could see the politics of the day were so degraded that it would take a whole age for a coherent vision to emerge, and wanted to provide material that could prime the pump for the eventual arrival of the new heaven and new earth in the Age of Aquarius.
Harry Marks wrote:
It also sounds somewhat reminiscent of our time (and maybe any time).
I am currently reading The Shaking of the Foundations by Paul Tillich. Full pdf is at http://media.sabda.org/alkitab-2/Religi ... ations.pdf

Picking up this old copy of Tillich's little collection of sermons that belonged to my wife's granddad was inspired partly by your recent mention of how Tillich has been forgotten but is central to the high enlightened tradition of American liberal Protestant identity. I like him for his existential ideas. He is absolutely brilliant, especially placing the Biblical vision against the real politics of the Second World War.

In his study of time, Tillich sees the eternal domain of divinity as encompassing the temporal domain of history. He says the prophet Isaiah “saw history as it is, but at the same time he looked beyond history to the ultimate power and meaning and majesty of being. He knew two orders of being: the human, political, historical order, and the divine, eternal order. Because he knew these two orders, he could speak as he did, moving continually between the depth of human nothingness and the great height of divine creativity.”

For Tillich’s use of divine order I would substitute geology, seeing geological time as the real encompassing physical framework for historical events, and then seeing the million year aeons of geology enfolded within the billion year aeons of astronomy.

So rather than assuming the Bible writers had narrow immediate political goals in mind with their opaque language, I prefer to assume they took a broad sweep of history against the stable order of the earth and cosmos. This is an order that we can now understand quite well using science, even if the knowledge we can now obtain can be frightening.
Harry Marks wrote:
Does nuclear armament determine what is just?
No it does not, but nor should we accept the fervent opposite line of the peace movement that messianic politics should focus on nuclear disarmament. I see nuclear weapons as a second order security problem, despite its surface focus and danger, because they also have a stabilising function of deterring war.
Harry Marks wrote:
Are we all just bullies on the playground, saying "Make me!" because we can?
Maybe not all of us, but probably Trump and Kim.
Harry Marks wrote:
All will be revealed.
And this is the beauty of the flow of time, that the future will reveal the inner causal tendencies hidden in the present and past. Tillich mentions Watts’ wonderful comment "Time like an ever-rolling stream bears all its sons away." Apocalyptics, in its high rational ideal form, seeks to discern the structure of time, seeing the deep causal factors in character, destiny and fate.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

So when is the next date for the world to end? I want to prepare.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:42 pm
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
So when is the next date for the world to end? I want to prepare.

German film makers made a documentary about Harold Camping's 2011 prediction - listen or read about it at http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ef/9175868

My view is that the concept discussed as the end of the world actually references the transition from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius, and will take place gradually over the next century.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:58 pm
Profile Email WWW
Permanent Ink Finger

Matthew 24

[30] And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
[31] And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
[32] Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
[33] So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
[34] Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
[35] Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
[36] But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

2 Peter 3-

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

I was taught no one could foretell the end of the world. Jesus says exactly that in Matthew, Chapter 24. Shouldn't Christians believe the words of Jesus? Of course, this would take all the fun out of it. So when anyone foretells the end of days or the Second Coming, I'm sure no such thing will happen on the day foretold.

–Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Litwitlou on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Litwitlou for this post:
Harry Marks
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next