Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Currently Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Currently Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray
I just recently started reading The Picture of Dorian Gray since my partner bought me a collection of leather bound classics and it was included. I have heard of the story but I haven't ever read it. So far I am less than one hundred pages in but it's a great story so far, it's well written and quite compelling. Have any others read it? How did you like it? Any thoughts at all?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

Post Re: Currently Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray
CyborgDreamSt8 wrote:
I just recently started reading The Picture of Dorian Gray since my partner bought me a collection of leather bound classics and it was included. I have heard of the story but I haven't ever read it. So far I am less than one hundred pages in but it's a great story so far, it's well written and quite compelling. Have any others read it? How did you like it? Any thoughts at all?

I enjoyed the book, but it was many years ago. I hope you enjoy it. It still seems topical, with so many people trying to stay young looking.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

That is quite true. I am about halfway through it now, been reading today while he's outside doing car stuff, and I just can't seem to put it down. Something about it is rather magnetic.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:37 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

lindad_amato wrote:
CyborgDreamSt8 wrote:

I enjoyed the book, but it was many years ago. I hope you enjoy it. It still seems topical, with so many people trying to stay young looking.

I really enjoyed Dorian Gray, particularly that Oscar Wilde so clearly caught the trend toward youth culture, not just looking young, but the beauty of youth and somehow holding onto that. This has become an obsession of western society in the many decades since Wilde was writing --- "Youth! Youth! There is absolutely nothing in the world but youth!" (Lord Henry, Ch2)

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:18 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

A favorite line of mine as well. I particularly like the wild abandon for life Lord Henry has in the book, at least so far. He is quite an interesting character, but you truly find yourself identifying in part with Dorian at times as well. Young, easily influenced, just so much of him is me when I was younger, and still at times to this day.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:19 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Silver Contributor

This is one of the few books that I have not fiinished, and it surprised me after I had heard such good things about it. I only managed to get half way through and then gave up. Rather than finding this book compelling, I found something about it repelling and I just did not want to continue. Reading these comments makes me want to go back and try again and see if I can look at it with a different perspective and find something I missed before.

The following user would like to thank realiz for this post:
Avid Reader
Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 am
Pop up Book Fanatic

I have had the exact same experience with Moby Dick, I have it on my kindle and continue to try to slog through it even now, but after four months and only getting 47% through I hold out little hope of ever finishing it. I just don't like it, that may have been the case with you and this particular book.

The following user would like to thank CyborgDreamSt8 for this post:
Avid Reader
Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:18 am
Profile Email
Cunning Linguist

CyborgDreamSt8 wrote:
I have had the exact same experience with Moby Dick . . . I just don't like it . . .

I think its great to have a place where you can say that about one of the classics and not be ostracized for your opinion. Sure wasn't like that in school. If I dared to say I didn't like a book that was an accepted classic, I would suffer serious consequences with the teacher, not to mention ridicule in front of the class. And, by the way, I found Moby Dick to be nearly unbearable. But, then again, I didn't like Hemingway at first, and now The Old Man and the Sea is one of my favorite novels of all time.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:10 pm
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

I never had to read it in school, though I assure you threat of reprisal would not have stopped me. I was raised by parents that would have stood up to the school officials should I be retaliated against for expressing an honest opinion. I completely disagree with the way school is handled in America. It's not a place to learn, it's a place to be forced into conformity. But that's a tangent I'd rather not see this topic go off on. What I am saying is this, Moby Dick is horrendously hard for me to read, and I am so glad I have another person who agrees. I have always wanted to read The Old Man and the Sea.

The following user would like to thank CyborgDreamSt8 for this post:
Avid Reader
Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile Email
Cunning Linguist

CyborgDreamSt8 wrote:
I have always wanted to read The Old Man and the Sea.

It's a very "slow" novel, so I'm reluctant to recommend it. However, the emotional build and climax are incredibly powerful (at least they were for me). What amazes me is how he manages to draw these kinds of emotions out of me without using a lot of adjectives and adverbs and "flowery" prose.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

Hmm, I will have to add it to my rather large list of books to read. My fiance just purchased a collection of six books from B&N for me and I am only on the first one. They are all classics and some are quite thick so it'll take me a while.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:49 pm
Profile Email
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

realiz wrote:
This is one of the few books that I have not fiinished, and it surprised me after I had heard such good things about it. I only managed to get half way through and then gave up. Rather than finding this book compelling, I found something about it repelling and I just did not want to continue. Reading these comments makes me want to go back and try again and see if I can look at it with a different perspective and find something I missed before.

There are some elements in Dorian Gray that I found a bit repulsive. I didn't like the characters much, I found them vain in the extreme and arrogant and idly rich. But in a way this feeling of repulsiveness kept me at it, sort of compelling in its own way. Also I just like Oscar Wilde's writing.

I think reading the 'classics' is sometimes more about snob factor than anything else. Sure there is lots of good writing and writers out there, including Oscar Wilde in my view, but the term 'classic' stamped across the front of the book is no assurance of a good read .. I think that some of the classic authors take time to warm up too so I think reading classics is often a matter of patience .. plus many classics are simply very long books so they time and patience to read .... I read Don Quixote a while back and that really took time to warm up too but in the end I found it a worthwhile read and generally enjoyable.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Silver Contributor

Quote:
I have always wanted to read The Old Man and the Sea.

This is one that I would have no hesitation recommending. I read it as a teenager and loved it and then read it again in my around ten years ago and felt the same way.

Quote:
I think reading the 'classics' is sometimes more about snob factor than anything else.

I have gotten this feeling at times when I have picked up a 'classic' and been very disappointed, and then I'll have the opposite happen when I read one and am totally awed and understand how that book has stood the test of time.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:42 am
Pop up Book Fanatic

I finished reading this book over the weekend while we were in Corpus Christi for our interviews. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I can't even remember a single part of the book that I didn't find interesting. It's a short book, only around two hundred pages, so that probably had a lot to do with it, but as always Oscar Wilde wrote a great story.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I just finished it, and I loved it. I will abandon a classic that is too slow rather than slog through, but I could not put it down. Dorian reminds me of someone I knew 37 years ago. If I listened to him I would have been that woman at the opium den.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:43 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.