• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Interview with Michael Shermer

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Interview with Michael Shermer

Unread post

Politics seems to go in cycles and I like to think we will return to some degree of sanity sooner or later. I've been wrong about Trump almost every step of the way, but I think I'm right about this. Of course, we may very well be in a war before Trump's first term is up. He almost has to start a war just to deflect from his own glaring incompetence.
We were "at war" for Obama's entire 8 year presidency.
Just because a president is well liked it doesn't magically scrub away the countless people who died overseas because of US interests - political and economic.

War always seems to be something else when a democrat is in office.
Last edited by ant on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Anyone interested in the next fiction book discussion?

Im a non-fiction kinda guy :-D
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

geo wrote: I hope Shermer is right. And, indeed, we have survived populist presidents before. It has been observed that some of the things Trump has said, both while campaigning and while serving as president, would have sunk almost any other candidate. Trump is Mr. Teflon in that respect. Does that mean that the game has changed permanently and from now on candidates will be able to say whatever they want without consequences? Or is what happening now in politics an anomaly, as Shermer says?
Trump's an anomaly. Trump benefits from low expectations. People expect him to say idiotic things, and when he does, people just shake their heads and continue on their day. It's the non-idiotic things he says that's truly shocking.

If a competent politician said the same idiotic things as Trump, they'd get hurt much more than Trump does.

Return to “Current Events & History”