Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Interview with Michael Shermer 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Interview with Michael Shermer
https://medium.com/@philosophytorres/a- ... b419df59f2

Trump. transhumanism, poverty, Doomsday Clock, etc, etc.

Last edited by ant on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
geo
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:45 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: Interview with Michael Shermer
Shermer wouldn't get on well with Elon Musk on the topic of AI, or with Yuval Noah Harari, author of Sapiens. Shermer would no doubt call both of them alarmist on the dangers of AI. Interesting that Shermer the skeptic has very little of that quality when it comes to technological fixes for the planet's problems.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
ant, Harry Marks
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:01 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

DWill wrote:
Shermer wouldn't get on well with Elon Musk on the topic of AI, or with Yuval Noah Harari, author of Sapiens. Shermer would no doubt call both of them alarmist on the dangers of AI. Interesting that Shermer the skeptic has very little of that quality when it comes to technological fixes for the planet's problems.

On a side note: I've met Shermer before at Cal Tech Skeptics meetings.. He's such a nice, pleasant guy. Some of his political views contrast with the very liberal southern cal people.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Dwill wrote:

I've noticed this also about Shermer. His skepticism doesn't seem to apply to some things.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 am

Gold Contributor

Interbane wrote:
Dwill wrote:

I've noticed this also about Shermer. His skepticism doesn't seem to apply to some things.

No, he's just not an alarmist.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

What you must mean is that no matter what the projected danger or risk, Shermer is laid back. In the interview he is that way about Trump, seemingly not alarmed by him. I don't know his writings well enough to say whether weird ideas are just of interest to him or whether he thinks we should be concerned/alarmed about Holocaust denial, belief in the paranormal, homeopathy, etc.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:38 pm
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Shermer's lack of alarmism with regard to Trump might be the point of this article.

I hope Shermer is right. And, indeed, we have survived populist presidents before. It has been observed that some of the things Trump has said, both while campaigning and while serving as president, would have sunk almost any other candidate. Trump is Mr. Teflon in that respect. Does that mean that the game has changed permanently and from now on candidates will be able to say whatever they want without consequences? Or is what happening now in politics an anomaly, as Shermer says?

Politics seems to go in cycles and I like to think we will return to some degree of sanity sooner or later. I've been wrong about Trump almost every step of the way, but I think I'm right about this. Of course, we may very well be in a war before Trump's first term is up. He almost has to start a war just to deflect from his own glaring incompetence.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
Harry Marks
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:15 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Anyone interested in the next fiction book discussion?

Casual Chat Every Thursday at 9:00 pm Eastern in the BookTalk.org Chat Room! Read More

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:10 pm
Profile Email WWW

Platinum Contributor

geo wrote:
Shermer's lack of alarmism with regard to Trump might be the point of this article.

I hope Shermer is right. And, indeed, we have survived populist presidents before. It has been observed that some of the things Trump has said, both while campaigning and while serving as president, would have sunk almost any other candidate. Trump is Mr. Teflon in that respect. Does that mean that the game has changed permanently and from now on candidates will be able to say whatever they want without consequences? Or is what happening now in politics an anomaly, as Shermer says?

Politics seems to go in cycles and I like to think we will return to some degree of sanity sooner or later. I've been wrong about Trump almost every step of the way, but I think I'm right about this. Of course, we may very well be in a war before Trump's first term is up. He almost has to start a war just to deflect from his own glaring incompetence.

Hi geo. Then there's the interesting perspective of George Will's that I mentioned elsewhere. Will has always deplored Trump, but sees a possible silver lining for us in having an obviously feeble president. We might curb our unbalanced enthusiasm for the office of the president, begin to object to its expanding powers, and become more involved in our government. Will's view of Trump as feeble goes against a general perception, but most of what he has tried to do has produced only noise, not results. He is now getting pushback from people and groups whose support was understood and which he could have easily retained.

Ironically, Jeff Sessions has been the results guy in the administration, yet Trump has fallen out of love with him, bigly.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:35 am

Gold Contributor

DWill wrote:
What you must mean is that no matter what the projected danger or risk, Shermer is laid back. In the interview he is that way about Trump, seemingly not alarmed by him. I don't know his writings well enough to say whether weird ideas are just of interest to him or whether he thinks we should be concerned/alarmed about Holocaust denial, belief in the paranormal, homeopathy, etc.

I think Shermer is laid back about doomsday prophecies like AI super intelligence one day destroying mankind because the projections are based on nearly zero meaningful data.

Last edited by ant on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Quote:

We were "at war" for Obama's entire 8 year presidency.
Just because a president is well liked it doesn't magically scrub away the countless people who died overseas because of US interests - political and economic.

War always seems to be something else when a democrat is in office.

Last edited by ant on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
Anyone interested in the next fiction book discussion?

Im a non-fiction kinda guy :-D

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Intern

Highscores: 5

geo wrote:

Trump's an anomaly. Trump benefits from low expectations. People expect him to say idiotic things, and when he does, people just shake their heads and continue on their day. It's the non-idiotic things he says that's truly shocking.

If a competent politician said the same idiotic things as Trump, they'd get hurt much more than Trump does.

The following user would like to thank Murmur for this post:
geo
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:08 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.