• In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

POLL: Countdown to Impeachment

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

When do you think President Trump will be impeached?

Trump will be impeached in 2017

27%
Trump will be impeached in 2018

22%
Trump will be impeached in 2019

5%
Trump will be impeached in 2020

No votes
Trump won't be impeached

46%

Total votes: 37
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: POLL: Countdown to Impeachment

Unread post

All right, calm down folks. Again, we must remember history and not repeat the mistakes Republicans made with President Clinton. Impeachment involves much more than Twitter insults and adolescent behavior, it requires "high crimes and misdemeanors." House Republicans knew they didn't have sufficient weight to convict in the Senate even with a charge of perjury against Clinton, but impeached anyway in order to damage him. It backfired and they paid a heavy price in the next election.

We should resist, but lay low on impeachment until the Mueller's investigation and others are complete. Those investigations may not come out how we expect. Remember the eight investigations into Benghazi came up with nothing and the FBI investigation into Hillary's emails also drew a blank.

I'll go much further and state we must steel ourselves for eight years - yes I said it - eight years of President Trump! If these investigations do not result in an overwhelming clamor for his removal, Trump could gain sympathy and all it will take to win a 2nd term is for Trump to start a war. Trump must do that anyway anyway for several reasons. 1. Trump believes he is a great President and all Presidents that we perceive as great presided over major wars. Trump is incapable of resisting that. 2. As we have seen with previous administrations, the popularity of a President skyrockets once a war is started. Trump's popularity could reach over 90% by 2020 under those conditions, such is the state of the American electorate. 3. With a thin-skinned angry adolescent as commander in chief, is another war possible to avoid with so many juicy targets to select?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I think you're probably wrong about the 8 years, Landroid. The president hasn't shown that he knows any real limit to to norm-breaking behavior, and besides that he could easily step much farther into abuse of power and illegality. It has only been 6 months, for pity's sake, and look what we've gotten. I think it's entirely fitting, furthermore, to act with appropriate disgust at his leadership, even if, politically, impeachment can't happen just yet. If the key thing to be determined is fitness for office, we know right now, don't we, that he's unfit. Symptomatic of his unfitness is the recent tweetstorm against the news anchors. Engineering his exit takes some maneuvering and patience, I do take your point there.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong about 8 years too! :x But W got re-elected after starting and mismanaging the Iraq war, so clearly we need to seriously consider that possibility.

The 25th amendment is another way of removing the President. That is gaining momentum, but it would require approval from his cabinet. If you saw that video clip of his cabinet sycophants where Reince Priebus stated it is a "blessing" to serve Mr. Trump, you know this will go nowhere.
Four more House Democrats have signed on to a bill to begin impeachment proceedings against President Trump after his Twitter rampage against MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski. Yahoo News reported Saturday that 25 House Democrats are now working on the bill, which has been in the works since April. The bill's primary sponsor is Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD). The bill would create a congressional “oversight” commission that could declare the president incapacitated, leading to his removal from office under the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... each-trump
HAPPENING TODAY: ‘Impeachment’ march on Capitol steps at 9 a.m.
A march in support of the impeachment of President Donald Trump will be held Sunday morning starting at 9 a.m., according to the Facebook page and website for Impeachment March Austin.
...“On July 2, 2017 in Austin, Texas, we march in solidarity with Impeachment March across the country to demand the removal of Donald J. Trump from the office of the president.”
http://www.statesman.com/news/happening ... qE1qbpEyH/
Looks like Democrats will screw it all up by repeating the mistakes Republicans made under Clinton: proceeding before you can deliver the goods.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Just to add, I also think that his latest tweet against the MSNBC presenters is impeachable. When the time comes to list the articles of impeachment, that should be on it. We might be at risk of becoming desensitized to his misdemeanors. To use the power of his office to viciously attack two citizens who exercised their constitutional right to speak out shouldn't be allowed to continue. One Republican summarized: "This is not normal." That conviction could spread further in Trump's own party.
Old Reb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Pres. Trump will not be impeached unless he does something blatantly illegal, which I don't believe will happen. The Constitution makes impeachment and conviction of a President very difficult for a reason. As previously posted, only 2 presidents, Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton, have been impeached-neither one convicted. In Johnson's case it came down to one vote. Clinton's wasn't even close.

Trump opponents don't have the votes to do this right now.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Trump's probably going to continue with his brinksmanship, such as threatening to cut off hurricane relief to Puerto Rico, but not actually doing it, never really intending to do it. If he did commit such an act, it could be interpreted as impeachable. He doesn't need to do anything technically illegal to be impeached. There is still the Mueller investigation waiting in the wings, too, remember. But this president may do other things to get himself impeached--every day is an opportunity for him. I think you can't rule out applying the 25th Amendment in his case, either, though I admit that's a longshot. In my mind, unfitness to serve was proved before he was even nominated, but Congress would want to have demonstrable evidence of organic damage before using the 25th.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

I didn't vote in the poll, because I think it depends on facts not in evidence. If Mueller comes up with connections stronger than I think he will, Trump may be impeachable. We already know there was lots of money laundering among his associates and favors from Putin to Trump, followed by obstruction of justice and inexplicable sympathy for Putin. (Remember that Putin has pulled off what Saddam Hussein tried: a land grab. He is still maneuvering to get away with it, and will be perfectly satisfied with a tangle of recrimination within the U.S. and no consensus to oppose him.) But we also know that Trump holds on to the hard core 40% who always back the person on their side of the left-right divide, and that egregious violations of the norms of government have not seriously eroded that. Nixon had to obstruct justice really hard to lose that base support.

Much more likely is that a Dem will be elected in 2020. There is no shortage of viable candidates. More difficult to scope out is what will happen in Congress. The Republicans continue their downward spiral, and if Dems can manage to coalesce around a mainstream, credible program the country is theirs to have back. Of course, that's a big if.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

DWill wrote: But this president may do other things to get himself impeached--every day is an opportunity for him.
Yup. We haven't had a President who treated the office his own private sandbox to this extent, with the possible exception of Teddy Roosevelt. I still think a nervous breakdown is a possibility. Pretty much everyone around him holds him in contempt, and the "I hate everyone" rant that went around on facebook is perfectly credible.

Washington is a more unforgiving environment than real estate development, and it has to wear on someone's psyche to constantly have people disgusted that you don't know the first thing about the responsibilities they are charged with staffing you on. Reagan made it through 8 years, but his buffoonery was much shallower - I do believe he had a core of decency and a grasp of the overall picture that our current "leader" lacks - but it took a lot of effort by staff to protect him from his own lack of interest in facts.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Democrat Pushes Vote On Trump Impeachment. It Didn't Succeed
Texas Democrat Al Green forced a House vote on the impeachment of President Trump on Wednesday, but a broad bipartisan majority voted down the effort.

12/6/17
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/06/56881857 ... to-succeed
What did that accomplish? Absolutely nothing. Again, keep your powder dry until after Mueller releases his findings, then evaluate...
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

When I was in grammar school teachers wheeled TVs into the classrooms to watch the Watergate hearings. Since then I've tried to stay current with our 2 party system, Supreme Court decisions, and local elections. It has been no great joy to do this. But Trump is in a league by himself. He is the product of the Republican middle class consistently voting against its own best interests. I don't think our Founding Fathers planned for this. What will happen with Trump as POTUS, impeachment or not, is unpredictable. The more important question is will the country ever recover?
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump

Return to “Current Events & History”