• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What books are the TIME 100 reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
yuvals
Official Newbie!

What books are the TIME 100 reading?

Unread post

I recently built a "bookshelf" which lets you see what books the Time 100 (2017) are reading based on what books they have tweeted about: https://parrotread.com/bookshelf/time-100-2017.

I hope you find it relevant. Would love to hear other ideas you have for bookshelves that would be especially relevant to the Book Talk.

You can see a list of some popular bookshelves I have already made here: https://parrotread.com/bookshelves.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] with ideas.

Cheers!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: What books are the TIME 100 reading?

Unread post

What a great idea. I had never considered that any list of "essential" books would reflect a certain perspective, but that perspective is usually unnamed. You've gone and sorted the books by particular interest groups. I like it and wonder how you went about it.
yuvals
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Yes, exactly. You are what you read, right?

We're trying to find interesting groups of people and check what they recommended on Twitter over time. As you mentioned, for each group you can quickly discover a lot about its people.

One of our popular bookshelves is the TED 2017 bookshelf (books recommended by TED 2017 speakers): https://parrotread.com/bookshelf/ted-2017-speakers. If you have ideas for more groups like this, I'd be happy to know - I can make more like this.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Interesting idea, but you should clarify what some of the shelves are about. I have no idea what "buffer employees", "Y combinators", "Seat Geeks", "Indie Hackers", or "Product Hunt" are. Obviously I am old. :lol:

Bill and Melinda Gates recommend a heck of a lot of books. So does Warren Buffet. Perhaps a list of books recommended by Top 10 billionaire businessmen would work. Although you already have the under 40 list.

Or something different like books recommended by baseball and football players?

With his notoriously short attention span, do you think President Trump read any of his recommendations? :P

BookTalk has a large shelf of books we have discussed:
books.html
yuvals
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Great point, thanks a lot - following your feedback we added a link to the bookshelf's source, hopefully it will be easier to understand now.

Books recommended by baseball and football players is a nice idea, thank you! :)
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: With his notoriously short attention span, do you think President Trump read any of his recommendations? :P
Holy crap, you weren't kidding. Trump really did recommend books. I would bet money that he has read zero of them from cover to cover. A substantial portion of those books praise him, which is probably why he chose them.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

There are some people in the list who've recommended nothing. Putin, Pope Francis, and Colin Kaepernick for example.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”