• In total there are 39 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Stephen Fry faces blasphemy probe

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Stephen Fry faces blasphemy probe

Unread post

Officers are understood to be examining whether the British comedian committed a criminal offence under the Defamation Act when he appeared on RTE in 2015.

...Appearing on The Meaning of Life, hosted by Gay Byrne, in February 2015, Fry had been asked what he might say to God at the gates of heaven. Fry said: "How dare you create a world in which there is such misery? It's not our fault? It's not right. It's utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?" He went on to say that Greek gods "didn't present themselves as being all seeing, all wise, all beneficent", adding "the god who created this universe, if it was created by god, is quite clearly a maniac, an utter maniac, totally selfish".

...The viewer was not said to be offended himself but believed Fry's comments qualified as blasphemy under the law, which carries a maximum penalty of a fine of 25,000 euros (£22,000).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39830447
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Stephen Fry faces blasphemy probe

Unread post

How in the heck can blasphemy still be labeled as a crime in this world? Especially in a nation like Ireland? The laws over there need to changes and perhaps a case like this might draw some attention to the problem.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:How in the heck can blasphemy still be labeled as a crime in this world? Especially in a nation like Ireland? The laws over there need to changes and perhaps a case like this might draw some attention to the problem.
Sadly, blasphemy is a crime in many parts of the world.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Oh, I know it is a crime but it should not be a crime.
Attachments
quote-blasphemy-is-a-victimless-crime-richard-dawkins-46-52-51.jpg
quote-blasphemy-is-a-victimless-crime-richard-dawkins-46-52-51.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Dawkins' logic won out!
Gardaí have decided not to proceed with a blasphemy investigation against Stephen Fry after they failed to find a large group of people outraged by comments he made on an RTÉ show. Detectives spoke to the man who made the original report this evening and confirmed they will not be carrying out further enquiries. Independent.ie understands that detectives were unable to proceed with the investigation as there was no injured party.

5/8/17
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/st ... 92915.html
:adore: :clap2:
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Hallelujah!

Such great news!

Thanks LanDroid.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:How in the heck can blasphemy still be labeled as a crime in this world? Especially in a nation like Ireland? The laws over there need to changes and perhaps a case like this might draw some attention to the problem.
You aint' seen nothing yet.

Canada is being stupid and so are others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... TdKxCz2FIQ

The above likely got Trump a few votes.

Regards
DL

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”