Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What short story should we discuss in May 2017? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Post Re: What short story should we discuss in May 2017?
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson is actually not in the public domain so we cannot post the full story here.
But it is available all over the web for free so it goes back on the list!

I suggest we only pick short stories that we can read for free online so that we get the maximum number of participants. I'll create a thread right now for "The Magic Shop" by Wells.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

The thread is now up for The Magic Shop.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

The short story discussion seemed to be popular and two weeks per story is sufficient based on participation. The thread will always be there, so discussion can always continue beyond two if necessary.

I propose that we suggest and select another story for the 1st - 14th of May. It might start a bit later than the 1st but I like the idea of a discussion starting on the 1st and 15th of each month.

I think that one suggestion per person and then randomly selecting one of them would be the most efficient way for choosing the next story.

My suggestion: Symbols and Signs - Nabokov

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:56 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

A Descent into the Maelstrom by Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/De ... strom.html

Quote:
The edge of the whirl was represented by a broad belt of gleaming spray; but no particle of this slipped into the mouth of the terrific funnel, whose interior, as far as the eye could fathom it, was a smooth, shining, and jet-black wall of water, inclined to the horizon at an angle of some forty-five degrees, speeding dizzily round and round with a swaying and sweltering motion, and sending forth to the winds an appalling voice, half shriek, half roar, such as not even the mighty cataract of Niagara ever lifts up in its agony to Heaven.
The mountain trembled to its very base, and the rock rocked. I threw myself upon my face, and clung to the scant herbage in an excess of nervous agitation.
"This," said I at length, to the old man - "this can be nothing else than the great whirlpool of the Maelström."

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:07 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

Henry James, "The Real Thing." This one is unusual in that it has chapters, but it's only about 20 pages.

http://www.fullbooks.com/The-Real-Thing.html

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:45 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

OK, let's go for it. Here is what I'll do. I'll go through the suggestions in this thread of short stories that are potentials for us. I'll assign each a number. Then I will use a random number generator to pick one. That will be our next story.

Mon May 01, 2017 12:20 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

OK, here we go.

STORY 1
The Lottery
by Shirley Jackson
Suggested by Chris O'Connor

STORY 2
A Descent into the Maelström
by Edgar Allan Poe, 1841
Suggested by Robert Tulip

STORY 3
Symbols and Signs
by Vladimir Nabokov
Suggested by Sal_McCoy

STORY 4
The Real Thing
by Henry James
Suggested by DWill

I just used the random number generator found at Random.org and it gave me "2 so we'll read and discuss...

STORY 2
A Descent into the Maelström
by Edgar Allan Poe, 1841
Suggested by Robert Tulip

I'll create the thread right now for "A Descent into the Maelström" and lock this thread.

Mon May 01, 2017 12:37 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2