Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
What movie has remained with you years after watching it? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nobel Laureate in Literature

Book Discussion Leader

Highscores: 1

Post Re: What movie has remained with you years after watching it?
Actually, "Inherit the Wind" has been remade twice, both as television productions. In the 1988 version, Jason Robards played Henry Drummond (Clarence Darrow), and Kirk Douglas played Matthew Harrison Brady (William Jennings Bryan). In the 1999 remake, Jack Lemmon (yes, Jack Lemmon) played Drummond, and George C. Scott was Brady. I never saw either remake, so cannot comment on them.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
Harry Marks
Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:31 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Hotel Rwanda. There are so many others, but that came to mind first.

Tue May 05, 2015 1:42 pm
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Pitch Black for me. It was the first movie that made me yell "wow" at the end. After watching that movie, it was like I had suddenly woken up after being asleep for years. I must've watched it a thousand times and never get tired of it.

Se7en was good too, and Predestination, two good examples there. Doom is another favourite of mine, and always makes me think of the video game called Quake. There are many examples I could give, all epic space operas, but Pitch Black has the crown.

Fri May 08, 2015 11:03 am
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

One movie that always stick with me is From Dusk til Dawn. I seen it when I was younger (though I shouldn't have been watching it at the time) and I loved it ever since! I think it is the reason for my horror addiction today!

Also, everyone is mentioning quite a few films I haven't seen yet. I think I have some new films to add to my watch list :)

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:49 pm
Profile Email WWW
Official Newbie!

Dexter wrote:
The Matrix was great, what a letdown with the sequels though.

Also a fan of Seven.

A memorable movie that I rewatched recently is Sleepers, come to think of it, an all star cast, also with Brad Pitt, DeNiro, Kevin Bacon, Dustin Hoffman

Just saw Tootsie with Dustin Hoffmann. It is quite good, after all those years, really funny and thought provoking.

The following user would like to thank celeste for this post:
Harry Marks
Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:41 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

Highscores: 6

Two come to mind, although there are many, but The Usual Suspects, I still turn over in my mind occasionally. Also Memento. Memento wasn't a great plot, it was OK BUT the gimmick was a great gimmick.

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:57 pm
Profile Email
Intern

Highscores: 5

The movies that stick in my brain are:

Equilibrium, for the music, the mood, the style, the artistic violence, the dialogue.

Baraka, because it's mentally beautiful.

The Shrine. For some reason, that movie disturbs me, in a good way.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:32 am
Profile Email
Permanent Ink Finger

I obviously have a very different taste in movies from all of y'all lol. I have watched only three of the movies y'all mentioned and only liked one, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (which was very good and very thought provoking)

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:48 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membership
Official Newbie!

Agree on Memento. Very interesting concept and execution, and the ending completely surprised me.

I've been obsessed with the animated movie Anastasia and the 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby. To me, the colorful sequences and music make them both absolutely magical. A little different than the responses on this thread, but oh well. They've stuck with me, and I could watch them again and again. :P

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:05 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

Blue Velvet.

This was the first film I saw that defied the cinematic conventions I was accustomed to. I was quite young when I saw it and didn't really understand a lot of it, but I was intrigued and was no longer content with Hollywood blockbusters.

Donnie Darko.

Over ten years after I had seen Blue Velvet came Donnie Darko. It gave me that same wonderment I got from Lynch's work. I loved the fact that after the first viewing you had no idea what you had just watched. It was really a film you just had to suspend your disbelief and experience.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:03 pm
Profile Email
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Here's a few I'll always remember: All Quiet On The Western Front (1929), The Best Years Of Our Lives (1946), Avatar (either 2008 or 2009, can't remember which), Dr. Zhivago (1965), El Cid (1961, I believe) and Glory (1989).

All Quiet On The Western Front is probably the most powerful anti-war film ever made and Glory just grabs your heart.

The following user would like to thank Old Reb for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Interesting that people answering this question aren't likely to pick a comedy. Wonder what that says about human nature, if anything. So, partly to be different and partly because the film really did stay with me all of these years, I pick Mel Brooks' "The Producers." It came out when I was in high school, and I wanted to tell all my friends the plot. Zero Mostel--priceless. Gene Wilder never had a better role.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Unbound and Learned

Gold Contributor

My mother and I used to see all the musical films of Mario Lanza and Kathryn Grayson. 'Be My Love' .

We also went to see every Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis film. I loved hearing my Mum laugh.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:21 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Amazingly Intelligent

Every time I try to re-make my list I come back to the same ones: "Platoon" and "Witness." Both in the first rank for linking the private world of character with the events that reveal our times. The themes of those two are the ones that resonate most strongly with me.

Most of the others that have stayed with me are similarly "pop" in sensibility: "Tootsie," "The Verdict," "Groundhog Day," "Full Monty," "The Horse Whisperer." [edit to add: "Training Day". How could I have forgotten it?] But one that few have heard of also goes at the top of my list: "Matewan" (stars Chris Cooper before he was recognized [further edit: also stars James Earl Jones].) And I love some great, great oldies, especially "It's a Wonderful Life," and "Casablanca."

I find "The Sting" and "Ocean's Eleven" to be irresistible, even if I don't turn them over in my mind. Danny Kaye's "Court Jester" and the Coen Brothers' "No Country for Old Men" deserve honorable mention. Guess I will always be a middlebrow!

Just learned that someone made a movie of the biography "Bright Shining Lie." Might have to check that one out. I was raising kids outside the U.S. when it came out, so missed it.

Last edited by Harry Marks on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:56 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I'll stick to this decade, the movie that stuck with me for years now is Dredd 2011 remake. I've seen it probably close to 10 times now. It bombed at the box office, but became an instant cult classic in the genre.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 4.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next