• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Why is printing so frustrating?? Someone please help me!

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Why is printing so frustrating?? Someone please help me!

Unread post

So I spent most of the day yesterday doing my taxes. I was using a Dell Laptop running Windows 10 and used TurboTax for Home and Business because of my publishing business.

I got all finished and printed a review copy.
The pages printed, but only the forms, none of the information I filled in.
I tried again, same result. I saved the file as a pdf file and printed that - same result.
One other thing the forms printed fainter than I would have expected.

Anyone experienced this problem?
Anyone have any suggestions?

Printer is a Kodak Verite 55 Plus.

Note, everything appears while viewing the file both open in TurboTax, and in the pdf version.

Thanks
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Re: Why is printing so frustrating?? Someone please help me!

Unread post

-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'll ask my wife. She is a master at PDF's. And I think she uses TurboTax for our taxes.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Thank you both for the posts.

It turns out that the problem was much simpler and I was victimized by the old Assumption.

We had replaced the black ink cartridge in our printer on 3/18/17 with a brand new cartridge, at least it was newly purchased so I was assuming that we had plenty of black ink. After much trouble shooting I decided to just copy a page of writing and wa la, ok, I know its a French word and not spelled the way I did, the copy was bad.

Replaced the ink cartridge and while the output is not as dark as Word documents print, I got acceptable results for Uncle Sam.

I would like to know if there is a way to print pdf files darker or is that a printer control?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I don't think there is a way to print them darker than the default darkness. But you should have a printer setting to print lighter. Something like "print in greyscale to save ink."
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

There should be printer controls to print a document darker. If you can increase contrast that might help also.

voilà —used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic
Pronounced "Vwahlah". :up:
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

We have two Brother printers, a black & white laser and a color inkjet multifunction. The laser is far superior for printing black & white text documents. Toner cartridges for laser printers cost about $80, but they last a long time and don't dry out like inkjet cartridges.

Our inkjet doubles as a copy machine/scanner and can print in color. There's a setting for "normal" quality and "best" quality and you can also clean the inkjet if output is iffy. You also should make sure that the printer is set for normal paper, not transparency or photo paper.

You can adjust contrast and brightness of a PDF using Photoshop, but I suspect your printer is the culprit. Again, a laser printer is the boss and I really like Brother printers generally. Both of our printers are wireless as well.
-Geo
Question everything
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Our printer has an 'eco' setting which preserves ink. I have read or heard that printer ink is the most expensive fluid in the world. I am not sure if that is true but I generally do not print anything, except my tax return.

Our old wireless printer, Lexmark brand, was a trooper. We could print wireless or connected to the computer. It would print, scan, copy, whatever but it wore out. Our new printer, about a year old, required that we set it up as either wireless or connected and we can't switch between the two. It is a multi-function printer and it prints, and copies but it will not scan. It is supposed to scan, and does so as a step when an ink cartridge is changed but won't cooperate if I try to scan something.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Cindy654
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Printer are synonymous with breaking down/not working its become a running gag in pop culture. Mostly, because there could a plethora of reasons why the printer is not functioning properly. I would suggest consulting the actual site of the printer brand if you are unlucky than try digging up the manual from an unofficial source. I wish you the best of luck with this unfortunate ordeal. I am sorry I could not help you any further.

Return to “Science & Technology”