• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Ch. 3: Universal Acid

#152: Mar. - May 2017 (Non-Fiction)
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: Ch. 3: Universal Acid

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Harry Marks wrote: In subsequent chapters Dennett is going to get into this issue, looking at whether practical limits on what is "possible" must be taken to constrain what is "possible" to the imagination. Is it "possible" to get to a regime in which all corporations are run as political institutions?
are you thinking of Chapter 6, "Threads of Actuality in Design Space," where Dennett talks about "forced moves in Design Space," wherein vision or a bilateral arrangement of a body, for example, may have emerged just because they were bound to?
I was still on Ch. 5 when I wrote that, but some of the issues of accessibility and constraints from either embryological or physical possibility, combined with my reading of Rorty, had me thinking about these issues in the context of politics and economics.
DWill wrote:Chapter 6 had some salient points for me. I wonder if it's time to go there. I don't want to get too "random" in my own process with this book.
Yes, I think Ch. 6 is an important way station and deserves a little rumination. I am not quite finished with it, but please go ahead.

Return to “Darwin's Dangerous Idea - by Daniel Dennett”