• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Writing Advice - Please help

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Writing Advice - Please help

Unread post

Hey, I've been running my own blog for over a year now. I recently added a story titled "Inhalant" which falls under the category of transgressive fiction (I guess you could say like Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, etc.) I could really use some feedback, thoughts, opinions on my writing.

You can read the entire story for free here at http://www.warpedtongues.blogspot.com/2 ... alant.html

I can really use some advice so I can try and improve. Do you think I'm ready to be a writer, or do I need more practice? What lines of dialogue do you like, which ones do you hate? Am I using too many nouns, too many adjectives, not enough verbs? Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I can handle negative feedback too. Sometimes you have to be a little negative to help someone realize what they're doing wrong.

Please help! Thanks for your time :-D
hlawrence
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Writing Advice - Please help

Unread post

Hello,
I have been using the online software called prowritingaid.com it is very reasonable and it does help you find areas that needs improving, such as pacing, it will show you if you have too many words, etc. It is a good editing program. Another is autocrat.com is a good editing program. Prowritingaid.com has more reports you can use. Both have free trial you can use, you are limited to how many words, and you won't be able to print out reports, etc. I hope this helps.
Harel
Ryan T
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It sounds like you're on the right path! Honestly, if you want to write a book then just go for it. You don't have to be the "perfect" writer to write a book. The best thing you can do is to remove the need for perfection and just let yourself write freely.

Once you get through the book then go back and edit it. Hire an editor if possible (You can find cheap ones on upwork.com) and they will help improve any readability issues you might have.

The big key here is practice. With writing, as with any other skill, you will get better with practice. So if you are interested in writing books my advice is to just do it!

I actually created a video on this whole issue of writer's block recently. You might be interested in checking it out. You can do so here:

How to Cure Writer's Block

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Like books? Check us out at http://www.pinnaclepublish.com
Need help promoting your book? Get help at http://www.pinnaclepublish.com/blog
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Maybe don't flashback in the third paragraph? You have a strong hook, then talk about something that happened in the past. Good writing, good prose. Don't worry about getting it perfect, your work is enjoyable.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Creative Writing”