• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What non-fiction book should we talk about next?

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Re: What non-fiction book should we talk about next?

Unread post

You may be right DWill. I didn't realize the book was that long and we don't have a great record for finishing books lately :hmm:
I read "The True Believer" many moons ago and I recall it giving me much to ponder. I could get into "the Ordeal of Change" or any other good selection that will shed some light on the current political climate of the USA and/or Europe.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

By all accounts Arendt's tome is not the easiest book to read. I would be perfectly happy with anything by Hoffer. I was going to suggest The True Believer, but since I've already read it, I would be even happier to go with the Ordeal of Change.
-Geo
Question everything
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Non-fiction side discussion about Trump?

Unread post

I'd like to make a suggestion, not for the "official" non-fiction book, but one for the "additional" non-fiction category. I.e. this would be a side discussion apart from the "official" selection. (Unless we want to make this one official?)

Normally after a U.S. Presidential election I'm so fed up with it I don't want to read any more about it. But this time was so raucous that I suggest we read a book about - wait for it - yes you guessed it - Donald J. Trump. Interested? Here are some suggestions.

Trump Revealed: The Definitive Biography of the 45th President by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher. This appears to be a compilation of efforts by about 20 journalists from the Washington Post. I think this has been recommended to BT previously. Great reviews...

The Making of Donald Trump by David Cay Johnston Great reviews...
”David Cay Johnston has given us this year’s must-read Trump book.”
—Lawrence O’Donnell, MSNBC’s The Last Word

Insane Clown President: Dispatches from the 2016 Circus by Matt Taibbi. How I love Matt Taibbi - blistering insights mixed with bizarre humor... Here's his description of Goldman Sachs.
The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... e-20100405
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Trump Revealed was as objective as it could be. Trump gave the authors 20 hours of his time for interviews, though in the end Trump said he didn't like the book. It was just a feeling he had about it because of course he doesn't read. I posted about the book here and would be happy to talk about it.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Away from politics, I'd like to read Daniel Dennett's Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life. The book's available as a PDF. That makes it more convenient to discuss selected chapters that have the most interest, instead of trying to tackle the whole book. Dennett is really good, a superb teacher and explicator. He gets into heavy subjects but is good at keeping his prose light.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Dennett's book is on my shelf and I've always wanted to read it. It's always too many books, too little time for me. But I would definitely read along with this choice.
-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I like DWill's suggestion of "Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life" the best so far.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I like DWill's suggestion of "Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life" the best so far.
Well, then you'll be participating in the discussion, right? :wink:

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/DARWINS-DANGEROU ... erous+idea
-Geo
Question everything
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

I was about to begin Carl Zimmer's "Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea", but after reading descriptions and reviews of Dennett's book I decided to order it from Amazon (used hardcover in VG condition :clap: )
Aceviewer
Official Newbie!

Unread post

My all time favourite is outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Can we have a discussion on the same?

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”