Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dry January 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Post Re: Dry January
One week into it - how is everybody doing?

It has been easy for me so far, mainly because I've been sick and haven't really had any urge to have a drink. Feeling better now, so this could get tougher...

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:21 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Worm

LanDroid wrote:
Anyone want to try the "Dry January" Challenge starting in a few days? (Tee-totallers or those drinking only 2 beers/week not welcome. Ni!)

Well, I thought I might be in when only Tee-totallers were excluded, but it seems I would not be sacrificing enough.

On the other hand, please do not ask me to give up coffee.

Last I heard it has health benefits, but that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Harry Marks wrote:
LanDroid wrote:
Anyone want to try the "Dry January" Challenge starting in a few days? (Tee-totallers or those drinking only 2 beers/week not welcome. Ni!)

Well, I thought I might be in when only Tee-totallers were excluded, but it seems I would not be sacrificing enough.

On the other hand, please do not ask me to give up coffee.

Last I heard it has health benefits, but that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

For that matter, of course, moderate alcohol use has been promoted as healthy. But like many things in the health field, contradictory findings and data confuse the issue. Is such use good or isn't it? It's best to rely on one's common sense, and to not get exercised by changes in habits that might conceivably result in a few weeks or months of extended life. What's the big deal with that?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:59 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

I started at Epiphany with giving up sugar.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Worm

Robert Tulip wrote:
Breakfast is actually bad for you because failing to fast means your body burns sugar for energy instead of burning stored fat. Also a daily discipline of not eating for sixteen hours is good for building will power.

If I am burning stored fat when I have to concentrate on abstract material, or have to interact with potentially obnoxious people (like students) then I can pretty well guarantee bad results. I have been known to say, "Sorry, low blood sugar" as a last resort.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Robert Tulip
Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:30 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

As far as alcoholic beverages are concerned, it has not been a dry January...But!. It has so far been dry of sorts. No cigarettes for fourteen days. Yay for me :clap2: . My cigarette smoking was bad enough that I have woken myself up from coughing. Glad to say that after ten smoke free days the cough cleared up. I'm still craving a smoke... but its not going to happen, for me its a habit that's been licked.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:43 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Excellent work Taylor! :appl:

I think we picked the wrong month. My resolve might dissolve at noon on Friday 1/20/17. :x #shotsforlunch

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
Harry Marks
Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:45 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Yeah, great going, Taylor. I'd venture that a smokeless January (and thereafter) will benefit you far more than cutting out alc would have.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 pm
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: Dry January
I was not kidding when I doubted I could get through next weekend with Trump as President. Plus a 4 year old oak aged quadrupel Belgian ale has been calling my name since Christmas and I could no longer resist! Strike off our first casualty of the Dry January Challenge. :lol: Carry on!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

But wait--the inaug is next weekend. In anticipation have you succumbed? I'm doing okay with the exception of the little party I had scheduled to give on Jan. 6. Just to be convivial, you know. But true enough, the gala in DC starting Friday will be a tester.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:11 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

Indeed...On 20 January 2017 America starts down the road to being Great again. I wonder what decade black American's would like to go back to?.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:44 am
Profile Email
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Yes I succumbed in anticipation of next Friday. :cry: Now I've gotta decide how I want to behave for the rest of the month - keep it dry or no? :?

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:28 pm
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Does anyone want to go for the Dry January Challenge in 2018?
I was successful 2 years ago, but failed last year prior to the inauguration. Not sure I'm up to it this time, but may participate if there is a strong response.
Teetotalers prohibited!
:beer2:

https://www.salon.com/2015/12/31/why_ob ... e_partner/

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:34 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'm in need of addressing some other unhealthy habits like eating too damn much. Is there a club for that addiction? 8)

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 am
Profile Email WWW

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

LanDroid wrote:
Does anyone want to go for the Dry January Challenge in 2018?
I was successful 2 years ago, but failed last year prior to the inauguration. Not sure I'm up to it this time, but may participate if there is a strong response.
Teetotalers prohibited!
:beer2:

https://www.salon.com/2015/12/31/why_ob ... e_partner/

Last year I tried it for the first time, was successful if you ignore the small party I had already scheduled at my house on Jan. 6 (I went an extra day into Feb. to compensate). I'll do it again. It seems good to confirm that missing a drink or two daily isn't that big of a deal. But going dry for 31 days might, as LanDroid says, help put the brakes on the habit getting out of hand as time goes on. Of course, I don't work anymore, so I'll have to see whether having so much more free time will make the dry month more torturous.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:36 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next