Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
We've read a few Short Stories books... 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: We've read a few Short Stories books...
Suzanne wrote:
We will be starting a discussion on a book of short stories for March and April.

Nikolai Gogol's "The Diary of a Madman and Other Stories"

I hope you will all check it out!

DWill wrote:
Hi, justareader. I completly agree with you about William Trevor as a short story writer.

I have never read anything by this author, thanks for the tip justareader and DWill :)

Susanne, the Gogol discussion sounds good, but I'm too apt to over-commit so I don't know if I'll be there. However, since you are honchoing the short story franchise (good job!) are you open to deal-making? If we read a William Trevor collection at some point, I promise to be there and to lead the discussion.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

Gold Contributor

There is a magazine that comes out twice a month and is called One Story--containing.....yes, you've guessed it, one short story. So far they have all been quite good.

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

Rancher: That's what Trevor's short stories are about. The characters are ordinary people from the most diverse occupations and socioeconomic conditions. But so far I haven't found a rancher in his numerous stories!. Probably ranches are not common in Ireland and England where most of his stories take place. :)
Justareader

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

Rancher1 wrote:
I am a short story nut also but it depends on what they are about.

I am more apt to pick up a collection of stories from someone I have never heard of before then per say a movie star or someone famous like that.

I love short stories about lives I may never get a glimpse into otherwise.

Ok, someone please tell me if that is odd. LOL :lol:

Rancher: That's what Trevor's short stories are about. The characters are ordinary people from the most diverse occupations and socioeconomic conditions. But so far I haven't found a rancher in his numerous stories!. Probably ranches are not common in Ireland and England where most of his stories take place. :)
Justareader

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 pm
Profile Email
Almost Comfortable

[quote="Suzanne"]We will be starting a discussion on a book of short stories for March and April.

Nikolai Gogol's "The Diary of a Madman and Other Stories"

I hope you will all check it out!

I am going to suggest this book in our reading club in the local public library. I am curious to see the reaction of the ladies (I am the only man in the group, and most of them are close to my mother's age). Their favorite books deal with stories not too far from home, no farther than Georgia to the east or Tennessee to the north. :D

Last edited by justareader on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm
Profile Email
Permanent Ink Finger

Justareader,

That sounds great! I am tired of reading about things I know about. :roll:

I love reading about things that I would otherwise never get to venture into.

I will check out Trevor's short stories. You have intrigued me. :D

Thanks.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:52 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

DWill wrote:
Susanne, the Gogol discussion sounds good, but I'm too apt to over-commit so I don't know if I'll be there. However, since you are honchoing the short story franchise (good job!) are you open to deal-making? If we read a William Trevor collection at some point, I promise to be there and to lead the discussion.

Wow, sorry I missed this DWill. Yes, lets do read a collection of short stories by William Trevor, sounds like we already have a few interested discussion members. We can start whenever you are ready. I promiss, I will be there too. :)

Miss the moon, but like the bike.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

Ford County by John Grisham was a surprising collection of short stories. After his first couple of 'lawyers in action' novels, I lost interest in his writing, (probably because I worked as a consultant to a lot of lawyers and they aren't ever in action). Ford County is a refreshing collection of shorts set in the south, only a couple of which are about lawyers.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:18 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

"The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women" is rather interesting. I picked it up thinking that it would be all about the blood sucking variety... boy was I wrong! And for Anne Rice fans, it has the one short story Anne Rice wrote with all new characters called "The Master of Rampling Gate"

When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over. - Tony McCollum

Tue May 31, 2011 12:53 am
Profile Email WWW
Kindle Fanatic

A couple months ago I bought "Tails of Wonder and Imagination" because it looked interesting. All of the stories involve cats. :lol:

John Joseph Adams has edited/gathered/whatever quite a few short story books that I like a lot:

Wastelands (apocalyptic short stories)
Brave New Worlds (dystopian short stories)
The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (as I recall, these were all supernatural Holmes stories)
Federations (science fiction)
Living Dead 1 & 2 (zombies!! :twisted: )
By Blood We Live (vampires)
Way of the Wizard (haven't read this yet.)

Shelfari!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Post Sherlock Holmes
Chris OConnor wrote:
We've read a few Short Stories books...

Someone that loves short stories should consider getting a discussion or two going in this forum. Are there any new short stories books on the market? How about not-so-new?

Most Sherlock Holmes stories were 6000 word short magazine pieces. What are your favorites

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:52 pm
Profile Email
Years of membership
Official Newbie!

I love short stories because you get so many different topics in one book. They are also great for reading in situations where you have 15 or 20 minutes to wait/travel. I read as many as I can find, but I also write them, and thinking up plots with unexpected endings is just as much fun as reading stories. I think 'The Other Side of the Door', a collection of short stories with a twist in the tale is well worth reading - but then I would, as I wrote it.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:48 am
Profile Email
Years of membership
Official Newbie!

Post Re: We've read a few Short Stories books... 'SUMMER SHORTS'
Hello,
New short story collection written by acclaimed young UK comic, ventriloquist and satirist, Lachlan Werner. SUMMER SHORTS: a summertime collection of short stories and poetry.
First edition in paperback here: https://completelynovel.com/books/summer-shorts--1
new hardback edition here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/lachlan-werner ... 06395.html
Please read and let us know what you think. If you enjoy please share. :thanks2:

Attachments:
11707557_1058595664152967_2048497566630987462_n.jpg
11707557_1058595664152967_2048497566630987462_n.jpg [ 32.16 KiB | Viewed 1365 times ]

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:08 pm
Profile Email
Eligible to vote in book polls!

I have written a romance short story and I am currently working on writing a thriller story. I use to read a lot of short stories through the readers digest when I was younger. I haven't read any short stories lately and I do enjoy reading them because of the time.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:18 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2