• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Which non-fiction book will we discuss Dec - Feb?

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Which non-fiction book will we discuss Dec - Feb?

Unread post

DWill wrote:Great suggestions here. But I'm going to nominate one that's maybe the most topical of all: Trump revealed: An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power, by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016). Trump granted the writers 20 hours of interview time. I recall reading that they found him rather approachable. Since publication, though, Trump has denounced the book as a hatchet job. The authors, who work for the Washington Post, were backed by a team of Post researchers and fact-checkers..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trumprevealed/
I read an article from this link and can appreciate Trump's hatchet comment. Guilt by association arguments based on assuming Joe McCarthy was bad are not strong, begging the question of whether the Cold War anti-communist movement which Trump associates like Cohn were part of have moral legitimacy.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
DWill wrote:Great suggestions here. But I'm going to nominate one that's maybe the most topical of all: Trump revealed: An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power, by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016). Trump granted the writers 20 hours of interview time. I recall reading that they found him rather approachable. Since publication, though, Trump has denounced the book as a hatchet job. The authors, who work for the Washington Post, were backed by a team of Post researchers and fact-checkers..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trumprevealed/
I read an article from this link and can appreciate Trump's hatchet comment. Guilt by association arguments based on assuming Joe McCarthy was bad are not strong, begging the question of whether the Cold War anti-communist movement which Trump associates like Cohn were part of have moral legitimacy.
I don't know what you mean by "begging the question" here, Robert. What I do think I know is that D. Trump offers social anthropologists a prime opportunity to study myth-making, up close and in the moment. Much of the country has chosen to see this person as the savior of American values under assault. Whether or not these values are ones that are in fact cherishable, the Donald is probably not the embodiment of them; he is just a chosen vessel.

I think I have just "misthreaded"!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Keep the suggestions and feedback coming. It would be wonderful to pick a book soon so we can start on Dec. 1st.

So far the Bryson book has quite a few people interested.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Normally when a presidential election ends, I'm so fed up with it I have no intention of reading about it. But this one was so wild we almost have to go back and try to get perspective on what happened. That Trump book looks good with strong reviews on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Revealed-A ... p+revealed
Mr. Tulip wrote:Guilt by association arguments based on assuming Joe McCarthy was bad are not strong, begging the question of whether the Cold War anti-communist movement which Trump associates like Cohn were part of have moral legitimacy.
Can't quite untangle that sentence, but why don't you bring the blacklist and many other abuses by the House Un-American Activities Committee to Australia and see how much YOU luv it.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

OK we have a few good books, what should we do - pick one, put it up for a vote, or make an executive decision?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I guess it should be put out for a vote; having read Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country" (his journal of his travels in Australia), I would vote for "A Short History of Nearly Everything."
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'll do a poll tonight after the last episode of Goliath. You MUST see it. ;-)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Actually, a poll doesn't appear necessary.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Suggested by LanDroid and supported by Harry Marks, Chris O'Connor, LevV, Cattleman.

I'll create the forum. :bananadance:

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”