• In total there are 42 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

How Safe are Nuclear Power Plants? (Green Power)

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: How Safe are Nuclear Power Plants? (Green Power)

Unread post

Since my thriller novel, Green Power, is based on the problems at Rancho Seco Nuclear Power Plant, let met quote from articles written about events and the final resolution.
On December 26, 1985, power to the integrated control system (ICS) for Rancho Seco’s reactor was lost. As a result, all of the reactor’s controllers automatically went to mid-scale (e.g., the settings for the main feedwater valves went to 50 percent open). In the 26 minutes it took the operators to restore power (by flipping a switch from “off” to “on”), the temperature of the reactor water dropped 180 degrees Fahrenheit—well in excess of the 100 degrees per hour limit. In late February 1986, NRC staff informed the agency’s commissioners that this event was caused by design flaws and weaknesses that had long been known to both the owner (the Sacramento Municipal Utility District) and the NRC itself, due to a series of similar events at Rancho Seco dating back to March 1978.
On March 20, 1978 a failure of power supply for the plant's non-nuclear instrumentation system led to steam generator dryout. In an ongoing study of "precursors" that could lead to a nuclear disaster if additional failures were to have occurred, in 2005 the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission concluded that this event at Rancho Seco was the third most serious safety-related occurrence in the United States (Behind the Three Mile Island accident and the cable tray fire at Browns Ferry).
In all the decades of the nation's fuming debate over nuclear power, opponents had never spoken with such indubitable authority as Sacramento voters did respond on June 6, 1989. They became the first ever to vote, by a solid 53.4%, to shut down a functioning nuclear power plant. The decision, in a special referendum, put an end to the operations of the 15-year-old Rancho Seco facility owned by the Sacramento Municipal Utility District. Within twelve hours after the polls closed, SMUD directors, who had pledged in advance to abide by the decision, had started shutting down the plant.
To get a feeling of how I handled this in a fiction novel, please read the prologue at Amazon for my environmental thriller – “Green Power”.
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Power-Thril ... 26CWZZXNPZ
Cindy654
Official Newbie!

Re: How Safe are Nuclear Power Plants? (Green Power)

Unread post

this has been a topic surrounded in controversy for many years. In my opinion it boils down to the safety standards set in place by the country it resides in. Obviously, I am against unexperienced orgs deciding to venture into this field, instead of merging with an already running infrastructure and branching off. Let me know what you think.

Return to “Science & Technology”