• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

Unread post

Dizzylady44 wrote: I am scafred to death for this country and for what my Grandkids will be facing in their bright young futures.
I am curious what you find so scary?
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Re: Is anyone else completely torn about who they want to be the next US President?

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
Taylor wrote:This may well be an election tied exclusively to our perception of both the leading candidates VP's. A wrong choice by either candidate could possible sink their election.
Looks like Hillary is going for someone out of the standard political playbook, such as a Virginia Senator (or former Senator). You could look at that as playing into Trump's hand, or as putting another nail in his coffin, depending on how you read the polls.
Trump is in a worse condition, though, because he will likely have to choose from the political establishment which will turn off a lot of his supporters. But he can't choose another "outsider" like himself because that just comes across as unrealistic to the average voter who would likely feel that Trump's VP should be an experienced insider working in an advisory capacity to guide him through the minefields of Washington politics. Sure, it's all bullshit but two people with no experience in govt, no clout with Congress, trying to run all that machinery is a non-starter. But as soon as Trump picks his insider, there will be no joy in Mudville.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

DB Roy wrote: But he can't choose another "outsider" like himself because that just comes across as unrealistic to the average voter who would likely feel that Trump's VP should be an experienced insider working in an advisory capacity to guide him through the minefields of Washington politics.
No matter how much people feel Trump stands for "people like me" and is unafraid of how he appears to the media, in the end they have to pull the lever on who will have their finger on the button. I shudder to think of people preferring Mr. Off-the-Wall, Speaks-His-Mind for that position.

Will it be Goldwater re-run or Reagan re-run? It distresses me to say I am not sure.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Well, now we've reached the point where almost no one, I'd wager, is torn. How can anyone be torn between such different figures as Clinton and Trump? Trump and almost anyone else would present the same lack of hard choice, so absurd is Trump's candidacy in the first place. Is this guy for real, most recently attacking the federal judge who is hearing the case over the defunct Trump University?

I suppose there is no glimmer of hope that the Republican convention can depose Trump as the nominee, but wouldn't it make great theatre if it did? Super Mitt to the rescue. I think there's a good chance that Trump won't just lose the election but will go down in flames. He might actually be incapable of running for president, I mean of really setting out an agenda and unifying the party behind him. With the nomination pretty much assured, what does he do?--he gratuitously attacks the female Hispanic governor of New Mexico and the "Mexican" judge hearing the suit against him. This is a man who can't control his need to settle scores when he imagines he has been denied the adulation that every narcissist craves. Impossible but scary to picture him occupying the Trump White House.
Clippedwings
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi, my name is Corinna Montgomery. I'm the author of the book "Clipped Wings".
My book tells the story how live was in a country where you bin told by the government what you can do. I see people are desperate and scared, undecided what to do. The book is the biography of my family, how we tried to escape east Germany. In my opinion, America is the last country where you find freedom today so I pray it stay's that way. Please read my book.
mighty13
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I don't know exactly the posture of Trump about the US economy, what i know well is the racist fame that surrounds him, give power to the racist to destroy the peace, that's the only thing needed.
HarryB
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hola! As an American in Mexico, I am sad to see anyone put down those outside of our country. This is not being patriotic to the U.S., I love the U.S. but have been working in Mexico tio appreciate a view outside of the U.S. as well, and it helps me gain perspective. I support the U.S. but do not want the U.S. to become a beacon for hatred, corruption, illegal activities, and putting down others to get ahead - if that makes sense? That lends itself to candidates running and of course, every country has to choose sometimes between worse and even worse candidates. Does this make sense? I felt Bernie was the less toxic and less experienced internationally at the same time, but I do not like the stereotypes that Trump applies to everyone outside of the U.S. which are untrue in the majority. Hilary's taking advantage of the system worries me, and yet one asks, does any politician become clean and free of all corruption? It is much harder to see that in this era, but outright hatred and spewing insults to promote your own country does not seem the path?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

mighty13 wrote:I don't know exactly the posture of Trump about the US economy, what i know well is the racist fame that surrounds him, give power to the racist to destroy the peace, that's the only thing needed.

Im not a Trump supporter and am one of many concerned with a Trump presidency.

Having said that, am I understanding you here? You think he's a racist?
How so? Because he's mentioned controlling Muslim immigration until "we figure out" the threat of militant Islamic terrorism? Muslims are not a race you know, right?

You think it's racist of him to want to build a wall to secure the border? This has been discussed before by other presidents. Were tbey all racists? Is wanting improved border security rude and or racist? How so?

Have you seen any of the violence perpetrated by protesters holding the Mexican flag at rallies? Is that just patriotism?
HarryB
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hola! Ant, also, I have to be more clear with my post. Let me rephrase how I stated that, I agree with your question and line of questioning. What I meant to say is I disagree with the racist attitudes that seems to result from his gatherings, speeches, etc.. Not necessarily from Trump, but I feel when the times have occurred that he has asked people to leave and it has humiliated people at his rallies, that is really what I see as wrong. I do understand his stance on a wall, it is just in my opinion not a good solution. Also, I do understand him wanting to make American great, I do agree with that rallying call, just not the way he is trying to do it, organize it, etc.. I do believe there has to be a better system of control to reduce the ISS events etc, but I am just afraid his approach is not the correct or best way to do it, forceful is one thing, but I hate to see the hatred that emanates at his rallies towards others, etc.. Sorry for the way I misstated that first post, it wasn't that clear :)
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

no, no.

Lets not ignore the fact that Trump is indeed a bigot. And a sexist.

One of the first flubs he made (of the thousands that compose the entire content of his campaign) is saying that mexico only sends us their drug dealers and rapists... and maybe some of them are good people. This despite him having "all the best words".

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Current Events & History”