• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?

Unread post

So youre saying it's a consensus so an argument ad populum is a good fallacy to hang your hat on because it's a community of scientists?
Okay, thats fine. I can accept your attempts at reasoning this out.

Did you read the article in Nature that I linked?

Ill read it a second time and give you my opinion while attempting to avoid fallacious reasoning.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:So youre saying it's a consensus so an argument ad populum is a good fallacy to hang your hat on because it's a community of scientists?
Okay, thats fine. I can accept your attempts at reasoning this out.
There's a difference between an argument ad populum and learning about science from listening to scientists.

You must be pretty busy repeating all of the scientific experiments throughout history.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Wait, what?
Youre saying that as a layman agreeing with the scientific community about something and arguing it must be true ( or believing) because theyre scientists is not an argument ad populum (or authority) because theyre scientists?

Remeber that embarrassment the scientific community inflected on themselves when they formally announced the speed of light was not consistent then had to take it back because there were errors in measurements and observation?

The people that believed them at the time werent guilty of an argument ad populum and or an argument from authority?

Is this where you ask me for evidence for those people's existence?
"Who are these people you claim exist?"
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You're on a crusade against a phantom opponent again. No one said it must be true because of a scientific consensus.

Good luck with your argument, go get 'em! We're all rooting for you!
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:You're on a crusade against a phantom opponent again. No one said it must be true because of a scientific consensus.

Good luck with your argument, go get 'em! We're all rooting for you!

Do you or dont you believe gravity waves have been discovered or are you skeptical about the claim?

Youre distracting from the topic. Like a typical atheist, you want to inject yourself into a conversation, make no claims or commitments, and attack other people who are willing to commit.

Youre full of it.
Intellectual cowardice.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: make no claims or commitments, and attack other people who are willing to commit.

Youre full of it.
Intellectual cowardice.
Hilarious.

Still waiting for your proofs of non-existence from the other thread you bailed on. You demanded evidence for disbelief. So where is your intellectual bravery?

You're wasting time, you've got a lot of experiments to replicate so you can learn about science.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Youre full of it.
Intellectual cowardice.
Admitting a lack of certainty isn't cowardice, no matter how much you use the word. It's wisdom.

Buy this and read it: http://www.amazon.com/Being-Certain-Bel ... 031254152X
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Oh look! None of the smart atheists who hold evidence as the gold standard for belief and mock faith as belonging only to people who believe in magic want to commit to answering my question.

It "seems" like its been discovered and "there is no certainty about the universe " !

Anyone here have some balls or is this a you first, then ill criticize what you said.

Here's my preliminary answer: im skeptical of the claim, based strictly on what I read in the Nature mag article.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:Youre full of it.
Intellectual cowardice.
Admitting a lack of certainty isn't cowardice, no matter how much you use the word. It's wisdom.

Buy this and read it: http://www.amazon.com/Being-Certain-Bel ... 031254152X

So you'renot certain theyve been discovered or detected. Is that your answer here or are you going to continue to red herring us all to hell?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Wait, what?
Youre saying that as a layman agreeing with the scientific community about something and arguing it must be true ( or believing) because theyre scientists is not an argument ad populum (or authority) because theyre scientists?
Based on my reading of the subject, it looks like gravity waves have been discovered or, at least, that's the current interpretation by experts in the field. Unless you have a degree in astrophysics, you kind of have to rely on the expert opinions of astrophysicists. That's not an argument ad populum or appeal to authority, it's intellectual humility. You seem to be expecting us to take a hard position on whether gravity waves have really been discovered yet. But since no one has, you're left with another pointless non argument. And so from here on out we can expect insults and Ant-braying until you abandon this thread and start another thread in a day or two.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Science & Technology”