• In total there are 30 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Trump is not a joke

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Trump is not a joke

Unread post

Unbelievable how the bluster of a disconnected guy like Trump can set off a irrational paranoia among radicals on the opposite side of the spectrum.

This is going to get really wild.

Thank goodness for the few remaining realists not blinded by dogma from any source.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

ant wrote:Unbelievable
The reactions to the prospect of a Trump Presidency are entirely believable and rational. What is unbelievable is that you could downplay the danger here.
ant wrote: how the bluster of a disconnected guy like Trump
It is pretty stupid of you to call Trump "disconnected" when he is leading the Republican race for the Presidential nomination.
ant wrote: can set off a irrational paranoia
Amazing. Are you aware of Mr Trump's views on Hispanics, Muslims, abortion and nuclear proliferation?
ant wrote: among radicals on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Great, lets move to antland where anyone who wonders about the sense of a ten metre wall along the Mexican border, large scale forced expulsion of American residents, sucking up to Russia, promotion of nuclear war in Korea, punishment of women who terminate pregnancies, etc etc, is "paranoid" and "radical".
ant wrote:
This is going to get really wild.
Trump will lose in a landslide if the Republicans are dumb enough to nominate him.
ant wrote:
Thank goodness for the few remaining realists not blinded by dogma from any source.
Yes, thank goodness. Does that mean, ant, that you think we should all just ignore as "paranoid anti-realist blind radical dogmatists" everyone who has some doubts about the great bloviating Il Duce Donald Trump?
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The reactions to the prospect of a Trump Presidency are entirely believable and rational. What is unbelievable is that you could downplay the danger here.
No, no., you're mischaracterizing me here. I'm talking more about extreme left and extreme right. Social media is full of wild and obscene commentary from both sides.
You should do a little digging. Particularly on Twitter.

It is pretty stupid of you to call Trump "disconnected" when he is leading the Republican race for the Presidential nomination.
Perhaps. I'm also of the opinion that his supporters are not an accurate representation of rational conservatism which has had its place in our country's history and has contributed to our nation's global success.

Amazing. Are you aware of Mr Trump's views on Hispanics, Muslims, abortion and nuclear proliferation?
I am, thank you very much.

Regarding immigration/border control: there is a discussion that is never had publicly regarding immigration, and that is, immigration through LEGAL process. The very type of lawful immigration that many wonderful law abiding immigrants have achieved as proud citizens of this nation of ours. We need to here more from them publicly. Perhaps there's a discussion to be had about improving our legal processes and procedures, but that also has yet to be had. It's all moralizing without regard of the realities and risks of ignoring improvements in security and process.

Muslims: His comments are simply stupid about Muslims.

Abortion: I've been mostly pro choice, to a degree, my entire life. Women would find ways to get abortions regardless of the laws in place. No need to put their safety and lives at risk by outlawing it.

Nuclear Proliferation: You want me to disarm? After you, please... after you...
Having said that, I do believe we are over-extended and should leave various geo-political locals we currently occupy.

I largely ignore Trump but am aware of just how irrational the reactions are from both sides, to anything he says to promote his brand. That's all he's doing. He's a business man, first and foremost.

Great, lets move to antland where anyone who wonders about the sense of a ten metre wall along the Mexican border, large scale forced expulsion of American residents, sucking up to Russia, promotion of nuclear war in Korea, punishment of women who terminate pregnancies, etc etc, is "paranoid" and "radical".
It's paranoid to even think for a moment he'd accomplish all that during a presidency. I try to avoid over dramatizing a future that has not come to pass in the least bit.

Trump will lose in a landslide if the Republicans are dumb enough to nominate him
Did you think I'm voting for him? Cause, you know, I'm actually not.

Yes, thank goodness. Does that mean, ant, that you think we should all just ignore as "paranoid anti-realist blind radical dogmatists" everyone who has some doubts about the great bloviating Il Duce Donald Trump?

I wish people would have ignored Trump from the very beginning.
Would you feed a monster living under your bed until he grows large enough to eat you?
Too late.

You do not share our country's unique history. We are the greatest at family quarrels, but somehow come together when it matters.
We are always in the spotlight because we are the most remarkable, most powerful nation the entire planet has ever seen.
At the end of day, we are the envy of the world. That's why millions upon millions of people want to come to the USA instead of countries like Mexico, or Australia, which I'm sure are lovely in their own right in some respects, but not as awe inspiring as America.

VIVA USA!!
Last edited by ant on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Both nominating Trump and not nominating Trump are horrible outcomes for the GOP and that makes the conventional wisdom especially volatile.
- Nate Silver
Twitter 4/22/16
http://fivethirtyeight.com/
A peculiar position to be in: Doomed if they do, doomed if they don't! :P
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Now that Bernie is essentially out of this race we are going to be hearing a lot of conspiracy theories from his birdies.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Donald Trump, so-called candidate of everyday Americans, pronounces “nuclear” correctly.
- David Frum
Twitter 4/27/16
:lol:
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

As the (expected) GOP nominee, Trump is now certainly no joke. Here is one of the more interesting dissections of this phenomenon that I've seen. Andrew Sullivan employs Plato's Republic, Hoffer's True Believer, and more...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html

Although I expected Trump to get the nomination for some time, I haven't been worried about it. Republicans were warned several election cycles ago that they must increase support from Hispanics and women. They have done the opposite.

I've read several experts in fascism who do not think Trump is a fascist, but state he could very well pave the way and open the door for The Beast. I think Sullivan's final conclusion is a bit over the top, but he does have me starting to fret a bit...
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Trump started his campaign attacking everyone, including Republicans.
Dont know why libs consider him a Republican when Republican candidates reject him, with the exception of perhaps one or two.

Trump is more of an independent than anything else.

I read the article.
Oh gosh.. first it was the right who claimed Obama was as evil as the antichrist and now its the left's turn.
What a bunch of drama queens everyone has become.

Calm down, people. Calm down.

Good article though.
Last edited by ant on Wed May 04, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Trump is the face of the new republican.

This is what Frankenstein was building for all those elections when republicans were "motivating their base" with knee jerk racism, jingoistic hyperbole, and disdain for "experts", qualifications, and frankly... empathy.

By catering to the people who want to see Mexicans sent back to mexico, Christianity endorsed by the government, take no prisoners - hear no reason war mongering, oppression of those with differing lifestyles, skin color, heritage, and culture they built a strong and cohesive voting block. All this time the old guard republicans really had no intention of doing the things they said they were in support of, now they've got a bronze-dyed hair-golem without conscience plucked from the base they've been cultivating who not only says profoundly stupid things but is cavernously ignorant enough to try to DO those things.

They've been playing with fire by validating backward thought for election cycle after election cycle and now they aren't in charge of their own party any more.

The republicans didn't want him, but they made him.

What kind of a world is it where Howard Dean is destroyed by a shrill rallying cry, but Donald Trump is floated to victory on a raft made entirely of flubs?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Trump is the face of the new republican.
No, not really. Because there are a lot of "new" republicans that don't support Trump and are not taken in by his nonsensical nonsense.

But keep up your fallacious generalizations, Lib.

Return to “Current Events & History”