Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Acharya S 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Post Acharya S
Bad news
Quote:
"Apologies for taking so long for a new update. I am so sorry to inform you that Acharya S/Murdock has taken a turn for the very worse. The cancer has become resistant and come back very aggressivesly and is taking over her immune system and liver. Chemosensitivity testing has revealed that absolutely nothing available can stop this type of cancer at this time.
The doctors have given only days to a week or so to survive. She is spending whatever time she has left with her dear son (only 13 years old), family and friends. We are devastated as we have done everything we possibly could to save her. I have spent the last 4 or 5 nights at the hospital with her to be at her side.
She is extraordinarily special to us. We/she feel like she never got her opportunity to really make her best case for her work in astrotheology and the mythicist position. She planned to do lectures around the country and the world. She was recently invited to be on the FFRF radio show with Dan Barker to discuss her Moses book and she was really looking forward to that. She has about 600 pages for her 2nd edition to her first book but, I am not sure if I will be able to finish it or not as so few can do what she does. I would need assistance possibly from Dr. Price &/or Dr. Zindler to finish that book.
Please continue to donate at her own websites at her donate page as at this point it's really about her son, his well being and his future. I will do my best to take care of him. I will maintain her websites, books etc. Keep in mind that every little bit helps $5, $10 or $15 from many can make a real difference. So please help out however you can if you haven't already.
http://www.stellarhousepublishing.com/acharyapdfs.html
Needless to say, it is not a very merry Christmas around here"

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor, tat tvam asi, youkrst
Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:42 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Acharya S
very sorry to hear that :cry:

i was just reading some of Acharya's work yesterday and thinking, damn this is fine fine work, so well researched, referenced and written and a real boon to be able to benefit so much from the seeking of another, so generously sharing with all.

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
Chris OConnor, tat tvam asi
Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

DM Murdock already has far more of Christ in her life than any believer in the literal historical fallacy does. Jesus of Nazareth was invented, not real. Understanding the natural allegory of Jesus Christ as the Sun and in continuity with other mythological figures such as Horus and Dionysus is the real acceptance of Christ in your life. Denial of evolutionary continuity through myth is a denial of Christ, whose truth is imaginary, not historical. Acharya has opened people's eyes to the natural meaning in the Bible as opening the order of the cosmos. Her wisdom and loving insight into the spiritual heritage of humanity serve as the shoulders of a giant upon which we can all stand to see further. Love always.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
tat tvam asi, youkrst
Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:58 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

This is really unfortunate.

I only know of her tangentially, but what I've been able to gather indicates she is a powerful thinker and communicator of ideas.

A shame to lose someone like this.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Chris OConnor, tat tvam asi
Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

I remember when Facebook banned her for writing about child sexual abuse in the name of religion because she posted a pic of an African virginity test. There was such an outcry that FB rescinded the ban. That's the point I tried to make to Flann about Sol Invictus--the light, the truth, the knowledge, cannot be hidden or suppressed. It cannot be held back in the name of "forum rules" or "TOS violations" or any of that bullshit. When you try to suppress it, you just make yourself look bad.

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
Chris OConnor, tat tvam asi, youkrst
Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:50 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

My condolences to fans of D.M. Murdock, who died on Christmas Day. I have never had a chance to read any of her books, but I always appreciate anyone who is willing to go against the grain. RIP!

NOTE: Robert Tulip posted something about her death on his Facebook page.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
Chris OConnor, Robert Tulip, tat tvam asi, youkrst
Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:08 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

I started a thread at her forum about it: http://freethoughtnation.com/forums/vie ... f=4&t=4793

The remaining admin and mods are myself, Robert Tulip and Freethinkaluva22. I think youtube's GodAlmighty has been on hiatus, but I'm hoping he'll reconnect with us when he hears of her passing. The admin is going to keep things up and running and we're working on putting together a DM Murdock Foundation as something similar to comparative mythologist Joseph Campbell's Foundation in order to preserve, defend and promote her work and scholarship. I only knew her online, but I'm glad to have known her and had the private and public discussions that we've had. She and I were very like minded. And She was always grateful for my defending herself and her work from the usual apologetic attacks that she'd endure...

https://www.ex-christian.net/

Last edited by tat tvam asi on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank tat tvam asi for this post:
Chris OConnor, Robert Tulip, youkrst
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:07 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

How ironic can it get.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:38 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'm always sorry to hear when someone dies, especially a deep thinker that spent their life trying to uncover and illuminate truth. Whether she was on the right track or not I'm not qualified to say, but I do recognize her intellect and heart and feel for all that admired and respected her. I'd say the saddest thing is knowing she left a 13-year old son behind. What an age to lose a mom.

And Robert I feel bad for you too. I know you were her friend and are hurting right now.

Ant, please don't.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
ant, Robert Tulip, youkrst
Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:05 pm
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor

Please dont what?

It is ironic she died on Christmas.

As a volunteer of hospice care and a grief coordinator once for a large national hospital, i know a thing or tw9 about death and the impact it has on friends and family

This woman to me is no different or more special than any of the people i sat with at bedside, or met with their family members after.

Last edited by ant on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:27 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

OK. I thought you were wanting to rumble. ;-)

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:39 pm
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Acharya S was a product and reflection of America’s pathological brilliance. Like the Messiah prophesied in Isaiah 53, she was despised and rejected by her peers. And yet as we now review her abundant work, the light of true genius shines through. Acharya was a prophet for our times, an acute analyst of the deep realities behind our shallow popular myths, a voice for the ages speaking eternal truths to a non-comprehending audience.

Her name is the first mystery. Dori on her headstone and to family, Dorothy by baptism and law, DM Murdock and Acharya S by choice and pen as public figure. I had the privilege to spend a week with Acharya, the name I prefer to know her by, at the celebration of the great turning of the Mayan calendar in Yucatan at the summer solstice in 2012. We spent the time talking about stars and myths and philosophy and religion, in a strangely charmed and treasured encounter, walking among the ruins of the Mayan Empire at Chichen-Itza and sitting together on the bus. She sang the Christine McVie song Songbird. I asked her about her name, and she told me she hated the name Dorothy. I never heard her called Dori until seeing this picture of it on her grave, under the image of the sun, and with her tragically close-together dates.

Her cultivating such a secretive mystique was one of the things people taunted her about. Some questioned her use of the Indian guru title Acharya. But now if we look for the great teachers of our time, Acharya is right up there. One thing she told me which I have not seen mentioned elsewhere is that she was a member of the Orange People. That strangely optimistic guru cult allegedly bringing Indian wisdom to the USA in the wake of the hippy movement in Oregon came crashing down, but Acharya’s involvement helped to kindle her interest in Eastern religion and its influence on Christian origins.

Acharya exploded into public view with her first book, written almost entirely without help, The Christ Conspiracy – The Greatest Story Ever Sold, placing her as the lead advocate of the Christ Myth Theory. Christ Conspiracy was published by Adventures Unlimited Press. It became AUP's top selling title. Her work had a great popular appeal and reached a much larger audience than just self-publishing.

This startlingly provocative work sought to completely overturn popular misconceptions about the central myths of human history. With such wild and bold ambition, she flamed and shone in the sky like a fiery meteor. The subtitle to her next book Suns of God, “Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled”, offered more than a nod to the theosophical tradition of Isis Unveiled, with all its dangerous associations with a range of esoteric topics. When she then helped as technical consultant on the first part of the notorious conspiracy movie Zeitgeist, her reputation as an uncompromising controversialist was sealed.

Acharya’s input to Zeitgeist was about the deep cultural connection between the Gospel story of Jesus Christ and the extremely ancient Egyptian Sun God Horus. Getting a handle on this problem of mythical evolution is an immense challenge. In response to the superficial dismissal that she encountered, Acharya wrote her greatest book, Christ in Egypt. Here she systematically goes through source material to prove the Egyptian roots of Gospel stories, building upon the pioneering research of authors such as the nineteenth century English Egyptologist Gerald Massey.

Like Massey, Acharya has encountered a moronic brick wall of indifference and hostility for this whole research program. But there are a series of astounding coincidences of language and content that connect the myths of Egypt and Israel, indicating that the actual process of production of the Gospels must have been extremely different from the conventional literal story. Acharya and I were able to discuss this material at some length when Christ in Egypt was featured at the booktalk.org discussion forum, for example about how Osiris was resurrected as Lazarus, the connections between the Egyptian Goddess Isis and the Blessed Virgin Mary, and how the Egyptian term for anointing, KRST, evolved into the title of the mythical anointed savior, Christ Jesus.

Acharya’s place within Christian theology will only grow, given the steady confirmation by bold rigorous scholars such as Richard Carrier of her core thesis that Jesus was invented. What is remarkable though, as an indicator of the cultural barriers that Acharya’s work faces, is that in his massive book On The Historicity of Jesus, which promises to be the irrefutable proof of the invention hypothesis, Carrier does not even mention the entire tradition of cosmic Egyptian mythicism which Acharya represents.

This modern revival of Egyptian esoteric mythology started with the translation of the Hermetic Wisdom in Florence in the fifteenth century, and proceeded through Giordano Bruno, burnt at the stake in 1600 largely for saying that Egypt is the source of true religion, to the great French scholar Dupuis, and on to Massey and the moderns such as Alvin Boyd Kuhn and Tom Harpur. Carrier has a conservative skeptical academic disdain for this whole line of thought, even though it offers the only way to put flesh on the dry bones of his core idea that Jesus started as a celestial deity. Acharya is the leading light of this whole way of thinking, and Carrier and other scholars should engage with this problem of the cultural pathology around Christian origins.

One of the things that prompted me to write this memoriam was that I am now reading Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition by Frances Yates, an amazing scholarly study which explains the intense tensions that have existed for hundreds of years between science, religion and magic. The challenge in this material, and one that I think Acharya sublimely conquered, is to exercise proper rational caution about magical claims while also rejecting the barren establishment attitude of political opposition to all esoteric thinking.

Acharya’s refusal to be cowed into submission was further reflected in her passionate opposition to Islam, for its failure to engage with the deep wisdom of human religious heritage, and its militant intolerance and barbarity. It is one of the paradoxes of her integrity that Acharya aligned with some deeply conservative currents in politics on this question, while also maintaining an intensely radical scientific rational approach to the ecological problem of human alienation from our mother earth.

Acharya and I corresponded at length in public on her free thought nation discussion forum, mainly about the massive and complex topics of how astronomy is the key to ancient myth. We saw eye to eye as kindred souls regarding the fictional solar identity of Jesus Christ. I always immensely valued her insight and engagement, and miss her dearly.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.