• In total there are 33 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Trump is not a joke

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Re: Trump is not a joke

Unread post

If Trump can't take even minor criticisms from other candidates or journalists, imagine how he'll react when a world leader criticizes him. No matter you feel about Obama, his strength lay in his ability to not snap back at nasty remarks made about him. Even when they went after his daughters, he stayed out of it and let the press and pundits take those people to task. He is the very picture of restraint and poise. Imagine President Trump giving a SOTU address and some idiot congressman yells out, "YOU LIE!" Trump will have a conniption. "PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!!!! SOMEBODY PUNCH THAT OBNOXIOUS ASSHOLE IN THE FACE!!!! DON'T INTERRUPT ME!! SOMEBODY STOMP THE SHIT OUTTA HIM!!!" I'll be rubbing my temples muttering, "This just can't be. This just canNOT be!"

Plus a guy like that is easy to control. All you have to do is offer a criticism and then watch him fly off the handle so that everyone sees what a jerk he is. It's just too easy. He cannot be president which is why I say that he won't get the nomination. They HAVE to find a way to give it to someone else. Anyone but Trump, basically. I mean, not Sarah Palin or some dumbass like that but somebody. Taking a stab at it, I believe it will be Kasich in the end. Despite the fact that he gets less votes than Rubio who has already dropped out, nationally, Kasich has a chance where Trump or Cruz do not.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

After reading a Wall Street Journal account of Trump's amateurish approach to preparations for a general election, I think the title of this thread is incorrect.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

In terms of every ability and quality we'd like to see in a president, he's a joke, yes. But what D B was referring to was the viability of his candidacy. That has turned out to be no joke.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Trump's viability, as far as I can tell, is restricted to less than half of the Republican base, and does not extend to an electable proportion of the total voting public. As such, his candidacy is a joke, except for the ominous signal regarding medium term cultural trends.

Here is a great article in the New York Review of Books. http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/04 ... e-stopped/ One disturbing thing here is how much Trump has produced a morbid fascination, in a way that has people imagining he is really on the brink of power.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I don't think he's electable, either, but just to be the nominee of one of the two major parties is extraordinary, and that is still probable. We've not had any nominee in modern times--or maybe ever--as far off the beaten track as Trump. The NY Review of Books piece brings in another aspect of, and reason for, Trump's rise, that the media are reveling in the spectacle and finding it nicely lucrative. The reality tv star gets to be the star of his own political reality show, courtesy of the media. without spending very much of his fortune or needing to pander to donors. It's a good gig.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I don't think you can make any predictions about these uncharted waters. Hillary is complaining about Sanders' tone, so how will she handle Mr. "blood coming out of her wherever?" However she has been in the thick of many battles/conspiracy theories from Whitewater and impeachment all the way to current controversies so she should be tough enough. But now in addition to potential third parties there's this, activating bad energy.
Roger Stone, the longtime Republican political operative and current ally of Donald Trump, says he’s trying to organize protests at the Republican convention in Cleveland this summer to disrupt any effort by the party to “steal” the nomination from the frontrunner. Stone tweeted several times on Friday evening about his plans, announcing a “Stop the Steal March on Cleveland” and calling on supporters to get to Cleveland for the convention in July.

Stone told BuzzFeed News over email that he is planning “#DaysofRage,” a seeming reference to the Weatherman-organized Days of Rage protests that took place in Chicago in 1969. Asked to elaborate, Stone said he was talking about “rally-protests -at delegate hotels street theater.”

...He said he had “issued the call to action” on Infowars, the Alex Jones-run conspiracy show, on March 30, that they “will stage protests at hotels of state delegates of states supporting the BIG STEAL,” and that he and Jones would be speaking (Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul are both invited).
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/trump ... .slmMbEQng
Pay attention, there will be stories to regale your eye-rolling grandkids. :lol:
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

This is just my take on the looming GOP convention and Cleveland, Ohio. (my home town).

Despite Cleveland having had a somewhat poor reputation for rational politics, Northeast Ohio has learned to recognize its bias's and short comings, Cleveland is not a town dedicated to the dogmatism of single party rule, Historically there has been in Cleveland a tremendous desire for the cosmopolitan appeal of intellectualism. There is favor toward smart ideas and pragmatism which explains in part Kasich winning the primary vote and not Trump (an anti-intellectual). My prediction for the GOP convention if Kasich has his way is a good dose of that local pragmatism presented on a national forum. The weirdness of this current brand of republicanism will be present for certain but like all great families there is that estranged person whom in proper company nobody likes to talk about. I agree that there will be attempts at presenting foolishness and embarrassments on a national scale. For the GOP there will be an opportunity to show the world a politically thick skin and an ability to put childish behavior in the seat to which it belongs. Cleveland has never been wedded to any particular political party, that non-commitment has traditionally been one of Cleveland's and Ohio's strengths. Ohio, term limits out, its politicians, its the nature of a healthy distrust that has been present for decades, a desire for good outcomes in an evolving global competition. More over, there is with the looming convention an opportunity to put their (Ohioan's) best foot forward, I do not see them letting a thing like this convention degrading to that of Chicago's 1968 counterpart. Cleveland likes a good protest but there is little remorse for stupidity and embarrassment. I could be totally wrong here but having grown up a Clevelander and barring having become totally disconnected with my home town, I wouldn't bet on a poor showing. Cleveland had a motto "You Gotta Be Tough" I like to think that remnants of that toughness still remain. There are people like me all over the planet, People with an ethic that is healthy, wealthy and wise. I do not believe there are many people who can not claim to know of someone from the Cleveland area, Their prolific and loyal to a place they call home and in the communities in which they reside. Visit any Browns Backer Club during the NFL season and you will witness perennial hope, strength, and honor. So, No, I do not see mob violence and mayhem ruling the day, I believe I will witness comportment and order mostly, A desire to put things right where a stump like trump has blocked the path of the furrow. Cleveland is not an enormous city but it is diverse non the less, another strength, many view points coming from that diversity also means that there is not a dominate culture, northeast Ohioan's despite varying backgrounds have learned the value of common ground, They view that common ground not as disputed territory but as cooperative events (pragmatism).
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

The Secret Movement to Draft General James Mattis for President
Gen. James Mattis doesn’t necessarily want to be president—but that’s not stopping a group of billionaire donors from hatching a plan to get him there.

An anonymous group of conservative billionaires is ready to place their bets on a man dubbed “Mad Dog,” hoping to draft him into the presidential race to confront Donald Trump. Think of it as a Plan B should Trump be nominated by the Republican Party in Cleveland: swing behind retired U.S. Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis and press him into service yet again as a third-party candidate.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ident.html
What the heeeey??? This just keeps getting crazier!
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

No Trump is not a joke:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... ened-next/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ronnie-c- ... 37998.html

It really doesn't matter if he gets the nomination or not. He has given the extreme right a voice. I don't mean the Limbaughs and the Coulters--those two idiots have been around forever and no one takes them seriously except other idiots. I'm talking EXTREME rightwing politics. The dangerously and criminally insane variety. They no longer have to remain in the shadows and they know it. Neither Limbaugh nor Coulter could give them the voice and presence in mainstream politics that Trump has given them. After this election year is over, I don't believe that things will go in reverse. These crazies will be part of mainstream political discourse from here on out.

If you think we are a police state now, just wait until this bag of mixed nuts get their guy in the White House. I have no faith whatsoever in the police to know when enough is enough. They'll go right along with it. Trump is only the tip of an iceberg.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Return to “Current Events & History”