• In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Finally got myself a Kindle

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Finally got myself a Kindle

Unread post

The newer paperwhite has that slide bar feature.

Of course it's not as easy to flip through as with a physical book, but it's a nice feature.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/n ... rwhit.html
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

When did you actually get it? Both my paperwhite and my voyage got update by Amazon today. Before you get to used to its current format, you might as well get the new one
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Another thing get your library card out, and go to overdrive.com. If your library participates, and most do. You will be able to check out library books on it too
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I have had it since September. I just got the update yesterday, I have been bouncing back and forth between paper books and the Paperwhite, so I am not sure exactly when the update came through. I will have to look for that. When I was going through "Soul Identity" to try to come up with talking points for each chapter, I had to book mark every chapter so that I could move through them. Hopefully that update helps. Another thing that I love about my Kindle is that I can "pick up" the book on my cell phone or laptop and it knows where I left off, so if I don't happen to have my Kindle, or it is charging, or I forgot it, I can keep reading.

There are a lot of free books as well, older books that no longer are under copyright, and such that you can still get through Amazon. I wish they listed the free books separately, but I suppose I get why they don't. I needed a copy of Plato's "Republic" for school. It was the first time I ran into issues with the pages, when the professor said read pages 1-23, I wasn't sure where to stop.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I know the update helped with the page issues, now if you bring up the toolbar at the top while inside a book.you get a bar at the bottom that says what page out of total in book/ mins left in chapter/ percentage read in book. Which is nice a whole lot less poking around in menus. My paperwhite and voyage updated sometime over Saturday night.
I am haunted by waters.”
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I checked that out and it is freakin' awesome!! That is exactly what I have been wishing for since my first Kindle a few years ago.
~froglipz~

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I so love my Kindle! I just bought a red leather case for it last night.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I so love my Kindle! I just bought a red leather case for it last night.
Ooh that sounds nice. I've got pleather vintage fintie covers for each of mine in blue and brown. they make mine look and feel like a bound book instead of a device, now if someone would make an air freshener that smelled like book pages....
I am haunted by waters.”
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

My MIL made me a cover for my original Kindle out of a beautiful fabric, My paperwhite is oping for the same treatment.
~froglipz~

kdbooklover16
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I have the newest Kindle Fire, but I do prefer to read physical books...
"So many books, so little time," - Frank Zappa

Return to “Everything Else”