• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What if Flann is Right?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

What if Flann is Right?

Unread post

assuming you were correct Flann

and Jesus was just as the bible says

and He walked on the water etc etc

died for sinners etc etc

rose from the dead etc etc

no astrotheology etc etc

no mythology etc etc

what then?

i'm quite happy to sit here and imagine what it would be like... well no need to imagine really, i lived it for twenty odd years..

so say as a thought experiment, you came in with a bunch of new evidence and irrefutable arguments, and we all said OMFG! He's right, Jesus is real, what then...

would we all repent and go to church?

would our love for our children suddenly get stronger?

would we spend more time in prayer saying things like ...thank you Father for sending your Son to die for me, i know i am just an unworthy sinner but your blood has cleansed me from sin Lord, thank you Jesus you set me free yay! (or should i go two yay's there?)

would we throw out all our metal albums?

i mean it all seems terribly facile...

to tell the truth i find it hard to imagine...

i would have to unlearn quite a bit of truth for a start, that seems weird, to follow the truth i need to unlearn truths?!?!

isn't salvation a leap of faith?

i'll move this to another thread and call it

"what if Flann is right?"
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: What if Flann is Right?

Unread post

yeah that's what i thought...
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

The thing is it's an idea in your head, it's a personal way of looking at things, it's not empirical fact.

As soon as you say

This is literally true you err.

If you said, I can't prove this but I believe it for myself. It doesn't matter if you believe this or not, an atheist is every bit as good as a theist, and y'all don't need to be saved, this is just something that works for me.

Well who could resent you for that statement, even if we thought it was weird.

But when you say

You need this, you are sinners that need to be saved, satan is literally a fallen angel, the bible is all true....

This is bullshit! You can't prove it, it's absurd, and it's demeaning and insulting to me.

You may need your god but I do not.

It's a belief not a fact

It's a way of thinking not actual empirical truth.

Atheists are in no way diminished because they reject your concept, indeed your concept entails ideas that would diminish them if they were foolish enough to believe them.

Fortunately they are not dumb enough or desperate enough to take the leap of faith into the abyss of religious twattery.

So have your faith by all means but realise that it is only an idea in your head.

There is no evidence whatsoever that it is anything else.
Last edited by youkrst on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

It's not that Jesus saves

it's that reason saves, learning saves

It saves you from ignorance.

If you simply acknowledge that I am in no way deficient without your Jesus, if you will simply say

Atheists are fine they don't need Jesus blood to save them from sin.

They walk their own path and that is just fine, then I would stop bugging.

But the minute I catch a whiff of, you need my Jesus, my inner Cochise rises and I will not suffer a fool gladly.

Think about it m8, you are no fool and you know it's just the way you think, do you really think Hume needs your Jesus, do you really think Thomas Jefferson needs your Jesus, do you really think Chris and Interbane Dexter and LanDroid are missing out on anything without your Jesus, if you do you are just plain wrong.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”