• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Astrotheology is NOT an academic discipline

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Astrotheology is NOT an academic discipline

Unread post

youkrst wrote:It's all in the astromythology thread Flann
Where Youkrst?
I'm asking for an astro-theologist to take a passage of the bible and verse by verse give the astro-theological interpretation for that passage. It shouldn't be too difficult. Pick any passage you like from anywhere in the bible.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

read the astromythology thread from beginning to end slowly

it's all there
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

youkrst wrote:read the astromythology thread from beginning to end slowly

it's all there
No it isn't Youkrst. D.B. attempted a parallel with Orion and Samson. O.k then take a passage about Samson from Judges and give a verse by verse astro-theological commentary on it.
D.B. took one bit about the defeating the Philistines with the ass jawbone and water and another about slaying a lion and honey and tried to equate it with solar movement,constellations and astrological houses.

You see when I point out that Capricorn not Aquarius is where the sun is weakest he doesn't answer this, but just moves on to some other thing. And that's just one objection I've got no response to.

So let's see a consecutive verse by verse astro-theological interpretation of a passage from Judges for instance, or anywhere else you might prefer.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

hang on it's party time here

i'll get back to you asap
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i'll go on the astromythology thread Flann

because we haven't got two Phds :-D
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote: Holding does highlight many errors in mythicist literature which stands or falls on the validity of the argument itself.
If you read the links I gave, you'll find Turkel does little of that. Mostly he misquotes, quotes out of context and attributes quotes to people who never said them. In one case, he gave a misleading link and when it was brought to his attention, then inserted the real link but broke it so you couldn't click on it. He's a con artist. He's an arrogant child inviting himself to the grownups' table which forces them to address him and then he uses this to promote himself. The academics he attacks have shredded him but he goes back to tektonics and proclaims victory. It's really sad.
The point of the thread title is simply that astro-theology is not an academically recognized discipline.
Of course it is. It's simply mythology which you can learn at virtually any college in the free world. Here's one I found at random:

http://evergreen.edu/catalog/2016-17/pr ... tory-13602

The material that got me started on Samson in the other thread I got from an astronomy text book by Frank Chu who teaches astronomy and physics at Texas A&M. Of course, how much longer mythology will be taught at colleges is up for grabs:

https://reason.com/blog/2015/05/12/trig ... -mythology

I can only imagine what happens when some professor tries to point out stories in the bible that are celestial mythology. "Wahh!! He traumatized me!! I'll sue! I'll sue!!!!"
It's not just J.P.Holding who rejects the mythicist view but accredited scholars of ancient history.
Oh, bullshit. When they say most historians agree that Jesus really lived, it doesn't mean they believe the gospel story. They believe there was someone upon whom those stories were based but every single one of them that isn't on a fundie Christian payroll knows perfectly well that this real figure is wrapped up in mythology a mile thick. What they can't explain is how this man got so mythologized only 40 years after his death.

Here's a wiki article:

Almost all scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed,[8][9][10][11] but scholars differ on the historicity of specific episodes described in the Biblical accounts of Jesus,[12] and the only two events subject to "almost universal assent" are that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate.

A Christian website says this:

While most scholars believe Jesus was known as a miracle worker, not all believe he actually performed miracles. And while most scholars believe either Jesus’ tomb was found empty, or his disciples saw visions of him, or both, not all believe he was physically raised from death. While some scholars believe he was divine, others do not.

Now, I ask you: what kind of scholar believes in miracles or miracle-workers? What real scholar believes he was raised from the dead? What real scholar believes Jesus was divine?

Patheos gives us a more truthful picture:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexami ... ble-story/
Where are the astro-theological commentaries on the bible. You've had plenty of time to produce at least one.
Huh?? The only bible commentaries I know of are written by Christians. Google bible commentaries and see how many were written by atheists or other non-believers. None of them would waste their time. Either you believe the bible is lot of mythology or you don't. I hardly see where it would be necessary to do a line-by-line analysis to prove it and, apparently, neither does anybody else. Why in the hell would you ask that???
But I've seen how it works in reality where some extract is taken and this interpretation is attempted. It always produces absurdity.
Because nobody is going to go line-by-line! What on earth for?? You don't even know what you're talking about. You know nothing about astromythology to even ask for something this stupid. If you don't know what you're talking about, it's a good idea to shut up. Let me guess, you got the idea to pursue this crazy line of thought from Turkel, right? It figures.
How about providing a sample of your astro-theological interpretation of a bible passage,if you're so sure it's the true secret key to opening it for "elite initiates"
smfh :no:
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manly_P._Hall
He was a Knight Patron of the Masonic Research Group of San Francisco, with which he was associated for a number of years prior to his Masonic affiliations. On June 28, 1954, Hall initiated as a Freemason into Jewel Lodge No. 374, San Francisco (now the United Lodge); passed September 20, 1954; and raised November 22, 1954. He took the Scottish Rite Degrees a year later.[11] He later received his 32° in the Valley of San Francisco AASR (SJ).[12] On December 8, 1973 (47 years after writing The Secret Teachings of All Ages), Hall was recognized as a 33° Mason (the highest honor conferred by the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite) at a ceremony held at the Philosophical Research Society (PRS)[13][14]).
These are the only relevant credentials needed for Manly P Hall. This guy was a self taught powerhouse so versed in esoteric tradition and lore that the Freemasons wanted him initiated, eventually to 33rd degree. If you notice my context for citing Hall is squarely aimed at esoteric and mystery school material. He's speaking in his astrotheology series about old traditions that have passed down. And likewise in The Secret Teachings of All Ages. He's the Joseph Campbell of comparative esoteric branches of theology, mythology, and philosophy.

He's a historian of esoteric traditions and secret societies of the highest degree.

So when questioning secret traditions, mystery school elites, and subjects of that nature he's quite the go to for trying to observe what ancient traditions have passed down within esosteric society. From a comparative mythology and religion perspective I've enjoyed reading and listening to hours of his lectures. And then contrasting with Joseph Campbell and other related material.

You know why?

Because there's one thing that's for certain. The Bible isn't literally true nor historically sound by any stretch of the imagination. It's borrowed mythology worked in different directions. Read my young earth creation put to rest thread linked in my signature line. It's done, completely finished in terms of the possibility that it might be talking in terms of literal truth.

That leaves only one other option.

Symbolic material.

And if symbolic, symbolic of what exactly?

That's why comparative mythology and religion studies are necessary to having any hope of understanding what the Bible appears to be when analyzed intellectually through various schools of thought...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:goodpost:

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”