• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Please "check in" here if you're planning to join this discussion!

#143: Jan. - Mar. 2016 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Please "check in" here if you're planning to join this discussion!

Unread post

If you're planning to join this discussion please make a brief post here saying so. Seeing a list of participants can help motivate other members to buy the book, start reading and join the discussion. Without you "checking in" here nobody but you knows you own the book and are at home reading it with the intention of participating.

Also, please help pull other members into this discussion. Send them emails, private messages or even telepathic messages. The more participants the better the discussion typically. So please don't be shy and help spread the word both here on the BookTalk.org forums and elsewhere on the Interwebz. 8)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Please "check in" here if you're planning to join this discussion!

Unread post

I'll read along. :chatsmilies_com_92:
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I'm going to pick-up a copy of the book and read along, I'll follow the discussion an put my thoughts in where I think they may add to it.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Wow, it's too bad I don't have $31.50 I want to drop and don't do Kindle, which would be $19.99. I've seen a little of the discussion so far and it looks raucous, which isn't bad. But I wish there could be some way of rank-ordering the points that bear most heavily on the case Carrier is making. These are the ones that stand at the gate and must be proved in Carrier's favor in order for entrance into the realm within, with all its swirling allusions and parallels and excitement, to seem like a good step to take.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote:I wish there could be some way of rank-ordering the points that bear most heavily on the case Carrier is making. These are the ones that stand at the gate and must be proved in Carrier's favor in order for entrance into the realm within, with all its swirling allusions and parallels and excitement, to seem like a good step to take.
At 1.3, Myth Versus History, Carrier describes the claim that “the early Christians preached a celestial being named Jesus Christ” as the most plausible mythicist theory. This claim about the early Christians is readily proved, and appears to entail the mythicist hypothesis that Jesus was invented.
BcharaK
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I hope it is not one of these "shock to get sold" books. there is something called continuity in the history of the Church, "tradition" in it's authentic sense: which means there can be no surprises in the history of the Church. Everything has been already questioned or thought of.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

BcharaK wrote:I hope it is not one of these "shock to get sold" books. there is something called continuity in the history of the Church, "tradition" in it's authentic sense: which means there can be no surprises in the history of the Church. Everything has been already questioned or thought of.
Intriguing thoughts BcharaK.

I suppose that means you support young earth creationism and flat earth theory using your wonderful "no surprises" principle?

On the one hand, Eccles did say there is nothing new under the sun, but then Jesus Christ allegedly surprised a few people by popping back from the grave.

And since "everything has been already thought of", we have no need to develop new innovative technology, we can just read the Bible and nod and dribble.
Tim Hendrix
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I would like to join in on the discussion because I have read this and the previous book in the series (Proving History) and found both interesting, and also because my name came up in the discussion.

Return to “On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt - by Richard Carrier”