• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

New anthology of short stories authored by; Martin, Gaiman and more, released today.

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

New anthology of short stories authored by; Martin, Gaiman and more, released today.

Unread post

Rogues

http://www.amazon.com/Rogues-George-R-R ... 0345537262

This anthology, which weighs in at over 700 pages and includes 21 short stories from some of today's most popular authors was released today.
Scoundrels, con men, and scalawags. Ne'er-do-wells, thieves, cheats, and rascals. Bad boys and bad girls. Swindlers, seducers, deceivers, flimflam men, imposter, frauds, fakes, liars, cads, tricksters . . . they go by many names and they turn up in stories of all sorts, in every genre under the sun, in myth and legend . . . and, oh, everywhere in history as well. They are the children of Loki, the brothers of Coyote. Sometimes they are heroes. Sometimes they are villains. More often they are something in between, grey characters . . . and grey has long been my favorite color. It is so much more interesting than black or white.
George R.R. Martin
From introduction

The stories included in this anthology are from an array of genres. George R.R. Martin continues in introduction of Rogues:
Books should broaden us, take us to places we have never been and show us things we've never seen, expand our horizons and our way of looking at the world. Limiting your reading to a single genre defeats that. [It seems to me] that there are good stories and bad stories, and that is the only distinction that truly matters.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Re: New anthology of short stories authored by; Martin, Gaiman and more, released today.

Unread post

Another one. I have collected 3 other anthologies containing George Martin's work to read after I finish A Dance with Dragons. I added this one to my Amazon wish list though. I am guessing it will come down in price as I read the other ones. In case anyone else is collecting them to read while they wait for the next Song of Fire and Ice installment, I will list them below.
1. Legends
2. Legends 2
3. Warriors
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: New anthology of short stories authored by; Martin, Gaiman and more, released today.

Unread post

Martin has a new full length novel, "The World of Ice and Fire", available Oct.28, 2014. This is a history of the seven kingdoms containing legends from before Ice and Fire started. A long prologue. Its pricey.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Yes I actually saw a pre-sale for that on Amazon when I looked up the other you told me about. That was written in conjunction with a group who did a website about the books. I am attaching a link here in case you are like me and aren't sure you want to spend that kind of money on it yet. The group at this website worked with George Martin to produce the book you are talking about.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Was just reorganizing my Kindle and realized there are more short story works.
1. Dangerous Women (contains pre-GOT, Dragon era novella)
2. Dreamsongs 1 & 2 (these are his work exclusively)

My goodness this author can churn them out. Well at least I will be busy until the next GOT installment comes out.
I am haunted by waters.”
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Suzanne, I was able to put that expensive book on hold, through Overdrive and my local library. You can do Overdrive if you are reading on a device and have a current library card, and if your local library participates. I think nearly all of them do now.
I am haunted by waters.”

Return to “Short Story Discussions”