• In total there are 39 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Cool visualization of human evolution

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Cool visualization of human evolution

Unread post

So we cannot comment with any evidentiary confidence (which is what the objective of science is) if it was in fact the environment itself that caused rapid change.
Confidence without evidence. This is true, no?
Yes, we can say with confidence. The mechanism is well understood.

The environment is a category of things. Is there anything that doesn't fall into that category that has been known to cause changes? Do us a favor and give us your hypothesis. I'd love to see alternatives to the dominant paradigm. Provide an alternative hypothesis that is as well evidenced as the one we currently have.
How many errors?
Do we know?
If we don't know, how do we know "it is very close"?
What you actually mean is, how do we know with certainty. We don't, so stop expecting it, even in inference.

We know we're close because we've done many reconstructions of existing creatures from fossils.

I don't think you care about "how" we know. You're merely questioning it to appear skeptical, which is pseudo-skepticism. Why not read a book on the topic of phenotypic restoration from fossil remains?
Which of the faces is a Human Being, Interbane?
It depends on your criteria for demarcation. Is it a visceral thing, where we draw the line where we say "that doesn't look like a human?" Or is it a percentage of DNA shared? Or the ability to reproduce? Your question doesn't mean anything to me ant, because it assumes we cut nature at the knees. The lines we draw in categorizing things are artificial lines. The truth of the matter is more of a gradient. Draw your line on that gradient where you will, but wherever we draw it is an abstract point.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Many paleontologists don't accept the incompleteness of the fossil record argument.
What are you talking about Flann? Fossilization is a rare process. That's a fact, not an argument.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:I didnt see at which point self awareness arose?
I doubt there was a single point of self awareness, but if there was it would have happened long before homo sapiens arrived on the scene. Since many animals are self aware to varying degrees, including the apes, it would make sense that self awareness came about in degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The mechanism is well understood. 
Actually its not "well understood" particularly as it relates to complexity.
This is Interbane falsely misrepresenting science.
There are other forces that are not yet fully understood.
Organisms may already be equipped with flexibility to change their physical structure. Genes may work in conjunction with the environment: how they do IS NOT WELL UNDERSTOOD.

Too many false representations of TOE by neo darwininsts.
No honest discussion is possible really
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:
I doubt there was a single point of self awareness, but if there was it would have happened long before homo sapiens arrived on the scene. Since many animals are self aware to varying degrees, including the apes, it would make sense that self awareness came about in degrees.

We dont know, it just happened in degrees, huh?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

What is the definition of "natural selection"?

The most advantageous traits survive in the environment.

What is so profoundly scientific about the above statement that is an ohvious truism?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
geo wrote:

We dont know, it just happened in degrees, huh?
If other animals have self awareness, it suggests an emergent quality of natural selection that helps survival. Do you agree or disagree? Do you have an opinion?
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Self awareness emerged because it helps survival.

Okay.. how does it emerge?

How does the environment produce self awareness?
TOE to my knowledge does not prove that the environment inevitably produces consciousness.
Does it?

I cant formulate an opinion because I dont know the answer.
You are suggesting something grand here.

Is this where we point to ourselves and say we are proof of our hypothesis?

Ps.

Ants are incredibly great at survival without self awareness.
Last edited by ant on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Quote:
Many paleontologists don't accept the incompleteness of the fossil record argument.

What are you talking about Flann? Fossilization is a rare process. That's a fact, not an argument.
I didn't say the record was complete as obviously not everything is fossilized. Many paleontologists think the record is representative and that what is there is not Darwinian gradualism.
It's often said that a reason for gaps is that soft bodied creatures don't fossilize as well as hard bodied ones. That's true but nevertheless,Stephen Jay Gould and paleontologist Simon Conway Morris have pointed out that "the majority of Cambrian explosion fossils are soft bodied."
It's not a good explanation for the glaring wholesale lack of intermediates between pre-and Cambrian fossils.
http://www.discovery.org/f/119
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: TOE to my knowledge does not prove that the environment inevitably produces consciousness.
Does it?.
I'd be surprised if anyone on Earth has ever made that claim.

You seem to be arguing against no one.

Return to “Science & Technology”