• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"The Martian" Does it mislead the public about science?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: "The Martian" Does it mislead the public about science?

Unread post

Taylor wrote:
Scientific research?
Okay. Drop the word research and put in solutions, Only makes the authors case worse. What I offered was a kindness. :)

Whad ya think of Sinatra? best of the best baby! :bananadance:

Solutions?
Whats the solution for the psychological risks of sending men 33.9 million miles on a one way trip, to an environment that is totally inhospitable to homo sapiens?
How would they deal with social and environmental isolation?

Its not like the movie, Taylor. You just dont glamorize the idea and say send us off!

YOU SEE??! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.
total misconception about what the science actually is.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Whats the solution for the psychological risks of sending men 33.9 million miles on a one way trip, to an environment that is totally inhospitable to homo sapiens?
How would they deal with social and environmental isolation?

Its not like the movie, Taylor. You just dont glamorize the idea and say send us off!

The risk is part of the glamor why else would anyone attempt such a thing.

You said yourself that there are bragging rights to consider.

Also, should it be, that only men, would be the ones to attempt such a long and demented trip?

We could scratch lobotomy off a list of solutions, there's a start.

You unfairly accuse me of misconception, when in truth I'm fully aware of such risks.

You nor the author of the OP give credit to laypeople.

No unrealistic claim has been offered that exaggerates understanding of science or technology.

No one has proposed to just "send us off".
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Right..bragging rights and glamour is what matters here.

Okay, Taylor.
Last edited by ant on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I'm feeling scolded here. :cry:

Maybe some more of the best of the best will lift my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqJvLmIlAE
Right..bragging rights and glamour is what matters here.

Okay, Taylor.
You know perfectly well that this is not my primary claim of "what matters"
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

One reason to go to Mars, or to establish a manned lunar base, is because it would be an enormous accomplishment, something that would inspire and unite us (just as the Apollo missions did). Whether that "us" is one nation or a joint effort of nations remains to be seen.

Another reason is the wealth of information such an experience might bring. We could learn that life first arose on Mars, then was seeded to Earth. Wouldn't that be amazing? And that's just one possible scenario. But there are countless other scenarios lie beyond our feeble imaginations and will only be discovered by those with an intrepid and irrepressible spirit, willing to explore beyond our comfort zone. Throughout history, many great discoveries were discovered serendipitously, either while trying to figure out how stuff works or in merely boldly exploring the outer reaches.

I think when early humans first started walking upright, they looked up to the stars for passion and inspiration. We will never discover what is unknown by not taking risks. Fortunately, if there ever is a mission to Mars, there will be plenty of people willing to take the risk for the chance to push us to the next frontier and inspire us to greatness.
-Geo
Question everything
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I also have this peculiar feeling for science :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCVnV5CGh0
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Okay so this one might be overkill, but astronauts need some luck also :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJpGHR6ofus
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

I haven't seen The Martian movie. The article was making interesting observations on science and technology and how we view it and scientists.
The screenwriter described it as a spiritual movie in which science is worshiped as a religion and scientists are superheroes rather than ordinary mortals.
On balance people think science is beneficial from the poll results.
Stephen Hawking is somewhat of a pessimist and thinks we need science to rescue us from apocalyptic dangers such as global warming,nuclear war,collisions with asteroids and conquest by nomadic aliens.
So we need to able to escape planet earth and live elsewhere. He publicly supports a Russian billionaire's million pound project to search for aliens which he is certain exist somewhere, though he doesn't think we should be letting them know of our existence through S.E.T.I. style message sending.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/stephen-hawkin ... ai-1521968

On another thread, ant featured this aspect of apocalyptic pessimism. which for those so persuaded, science seems to be the only solution as there is nothing else but the natural material world as they see it.
On a lighter note a B.B.C. comedy series from a few years back called Stella Street featured this anxiety in one episode called; The End.
It features various Hollywood stars and British movie and rock stars, all for some bizarre reason having moved to Surbiton a suburb of London.
Some bad language in this, but funny if a bit cruel in one or two depictions of screen legends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGlKXEqM8ys
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

If any of you want a free copy of "The Martian" send me a private message with your mailing address. :-)

Same goes for "Good Thinking."
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:They should issue a trigger warning so that people don't come away with unrealistic expectations of reality after seeing a science fiction movie! I mean, really?
Now you've got me thinking about what makes a movie or book science fiction. Maybe the category is fuzzy in definition, as you'll find people referring to Star Wars as Sci-fi, when I'd say it's straight-up fantasy. But it seems to me that when you have a work in which the technology and society are represented as very close to what we have now, the science piece isn't viewed as a fiction, and the science probably strives for credibility. That, anyway, was how I looked at this movie. You're right, though, it shouldn't be counted as a weakness, or faulty science, that some capabilities in the movie don't exist yet. Anything about the future is speculative.

I would say that the film is unrealistic, not in the science but in its Hollywood cliff-hanger concept where against all odds everything comes together at the end. That is just what audiences like.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”