• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Bernie Sanders Speaks at Liberty University

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Bernie Sanders Speaks at Liberty University

Unread post

I haven't read the speech, but sounds like he tried to challenge the students to find common ground. Contrast this with the Prosperity Gospel: God wants you to be rich!
Are you content? Do you think it’s moral that 20 percent of the children in this country, the wealthiest country in the history of the world are living in poverty? Do you think it is acceptable that 40 percent of African-American children are living in poverty? In my view, there is no justice, and morality suffers, when in our wealthy country, millions of children go to bed hungry. That is not morality. I think when we talk about morality, what we are talking about is all of God’s children, the poor, the wretched, they have a right to go to a doctor when they are sick…I want you to go into your hearts. Millions of people in this country are working long hours for abysmally low wages. You have got to think about the morality of that, the justice of that.

...We are living in a nation which worships not love of brothers and sisters, not love of the poor and the sick, but worships the acquisition of money.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/15/this_is ... y_matters/
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ant:
I needed a break from reading the fixation on Christianity here.

The thing is Ant, there was no talk of Christianity on this thread. Harris had nothing to do with this thread. It was you Ant, That dragged that POV here.

In an earlier post of mine there was a grammatical error.
Taylor:
Your fixating on Harris
I should have spelled "You're", This mistake bugged me out all afternoon.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

LanDroid:
I haven't read the speech, but sounds like he tried to challenge the students to find common ground. Contrast this with the Prosperity Gospel: God wants you to be rich!
Quote:

Are you content? Do you think it’s moral that 20 percent of the children in this country, the wealthiest country in the history of the world are living in poverty? Do you think it is acceptable that 40 percent of African-American children are living in poverty? In my view, there is no justice, and morality suffers, when in our wealthy country, millions of children go to bed hungry. That is not morality. I think when we talk about morality, what we are talking about is all of God’s children, the poor, the wretched, they have a right to go to a doctor when they are sick…I want you to go into your hearts. Millions of people in this country are working long hours for abysmally low wages. You have got to think about the morality of that, the justice of that.

...We are living in a nation which worships not love of brothers and sisters, not love of the poor and the sick, but worships the acquisition of money.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/15/this_is ... y_matters/

Speaking for myself; I have paid attention to Bernie Sanders for a couple years now, Sanders makes excellent points and the strength of his words and ideas defy any attempts to marginalize him.
I would like to see Sanders win the Democratic nomination, I think that it would raise the level of debate beyond that which would be achieved with Clinton or Biden as nominee.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ant:
Woodrow Wilson sucked.
And Nev Chamberlain considered Hitler a guy who was misunderstood, until he ignited an world war.
These seem like violently curt statements.

How many people use your user name and password? You/all of you intrigue me.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: On a completely different political subject, I was surprised after watching last night's Republican debate that no one commenting mentioned Rand Paul as a "winner." I thought his responses were excellent and that he set himself apart from the rest, ideologically. What did you think, if you watched it?
I did watch and thought Rand did very well. As Taylor said, it's refreshing to see someone take an independent, non-partisan stance, especially when it comes to the U.S. role in global conflicts. If the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again, hoping for different results, U.S. foreign policy seems pretty crazy.

Alas, the reason the media doesn't mention Rand Paul much is precisely because he doesn't fit into the Republican mold. Either does Don Trump, and I think we'll see his numbers drop pretty quickly as people see him for what he is.

I think it was a more substantive debate with some moments of silliness.

Can't comment much more right now. I'm on a trip and didn't bring the laptop.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

The book that was selected for discussion, but hasn't been discussed much, Fareed Zacharia's The Post-American World, should be, as they say, required reading for these Republicans (minus Paul). Most in that party can't get past the title; they go nuts at the suggestion that any of America's power should be allowed to fade. Though Carly Fiorina got plaudits for her debate performance, her pledge to jack up the military by who knows how many billions per year ignores the fact the we already spend more on defense than the next seven largest-spending countries combined. I thought the idea was to get other countries to step up and share the burden. They never will if we won't ever stand down as the global cops.

Return to “Current Events & History”