• In total there are 49 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Larry Krauss' horrible New Yorker article

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Larry Krauss' horrible New Yorker article

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
LanDroid wrote:OK I'll bite: What is the purpose of The Universe? (Or what are the purposes...)
Thanks.
...As a Christian theist I go with "the heavens declare the glory of the Lord." Purpose can only come from purposeful beings. I imagine there are many purposes such as the design of living things enabling them to see,hear think and purpose too.
Anticipointment! I was hoping for so much more. Consider the vast scale of The Universe - 100 billion galaxies accelerating away from each other; long after the Earth is consumed by the Sun, they're destined to degrade into random sub-atomic particles zipping in and out of existence. Also consider the minute scale of The Universe - how many Higgs Boson particles exist in The Visible Universe, perhaps a google?

And the purpose of all this vast and minute complexity is praise for a Diety recognized by a minority of the Earth's population? :shock:
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
So am I excused from being a moron when I point out that I never said any such thing?
Actually you never do say anything other than spin, so you have a point

Like Geo, you quite dont know what to defend from Krauss's article because its so disjointed.
So you'd rather spin like a top.
Yeah, Krauss' article is so disjointed and poorly written, it was published in New Yorker. :wink:
-Geo
Question everything
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Interbane wrote: There's nothing wrong with arguing that everyone should be treated equally under law.

We have made a number of exceptions for religion, and I think appropriately. Jewish kids don't have to go to school on Yom Kippur. Conscientious objectors (who no longer have to show a religious basis) are exempt from carrying a gun in the nation's wars. Jehovah's Witnesses don't have to salute the flag. From the passages quoted, it sounds like Krauss thinks the issue just came up for the first time in response to gay rights.

Return to “Current Events & History”