• In total there are 24 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Hello everyone

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
mycroftmy
Almost Comfortable

Hello everyone

Unread post

Well, I suppose it's time for me to introduce myself

My name is John MacDonald and some of my hobbies include Film, Reading and Audiobooks, Music, Difficult-Devilish Sudoku and Research/Reference.

I like mainly fiction, but I have read a variety of biographies. Besides biographies, other books in the non-fiction genre I read, have to do with Cosmology.

I sought out Book Talk.org, when I was looking around for a forum that I could participate in, and whose main purpose was Books. I did this not only to participate, but to also learn about Forums and Blogs.

John

I guess that I should add that I may miss some of your replies (a fear unto itself), but I will try to at least acknowledge your input.
Last edited by mycroftmy on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: Hello everyone

Unread post

mycrofmy wrote:
I sought out Book Talk.org, when I was looking around for a forum that I could participate in, and whose main purpose was Books. I did this not only to participate, but to also learn about Forums and Blogs.
Welcome to BT John, your reasons for signing up, reflect mine as well. You'll find BookTalk. org can be addictive in a good way.
This forum is character driven, in time you'll learn that for the most part there's a core group of smart people sharing ideas that cover a wide range of topics, at times the gloves do come off but that's part of the game. Were here to participate in the exchange of ideas, having personality helps in the exchange, its in a sense a way to people watch without standing on the side walk, even a little better than side walk observation, is the opportunity to examine the way peoples minds work through the written form. The pattern growth of content and style, is fascinating when limited to a single medium.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

mycroftmy wrote:Difficult-Devilish Sudoku
Hi John. I like difficult Sudoku, but with the devilish ones I get half way and then get stumped. I am sure there are advanced tricks which are needed when you get to the point of carefully analysing all the squares and finding nothing.
mycroftmy
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
mycroftmy wrote:Difficult-Devilish Sudoku
Hi John. I like difficult Sudoku, but with the devilish ones I get half way and then get stumped. I am sure there are advanced tricks which are needed when you get to the point of carefully analysing all the squares and finding nothing.

Hi Robert-Yes there are various schemes, or as you put it "various tricks" that one employs in order to solve the most difficult Sudoku. I am sure that those Math whiz's out there, can do it in their heads, but sadly that is not me. :(

As you know, solving Sudoku puzzles is akin to using algorithmic mathematics, so the more devilish, the more algorithms you need to use. Even though some puzzles take me nearly two hours to solve, I get a real sense of satisfaction, when they are complete. I find that I utilize about four basic methods, and about four advanced methods, to solve the more difficult. So if you aren't a math whiz (or Stephen Hawking), these advanced methods are essential, for solving the puzzle would be next to impossible, without them.

Good luck in your future Sudoku solving, and I'll be looking for you among the pages of BookTalk.

John
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to the community, John.

I've never tried Sudoku but figure I should give it a shot at some point. Math is my weakness. :no:
gbodor
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Welcome John. Love your intro! I am new as well. I have moved from so so at Sudoku to semi-addict to Words with Friends. Be warned!

Gari

Return to “Everything Else”