• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Go Set a Watchman - Part I (Chapters 1, 2, and 3)

#139: Aug. - Oct. 2015 (Fiction)
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Go Set a Watchman - Part I (Chapters 1, 2, and 3)

Unread post

Taylor wrote:Harper Lee manages to define her story and its particular situation, I don't get the impression, that through her story she had hopes of presenting a larger picture element, that's what society tried to do with the small story she told.
I agree with you Taylor. To Kill a Mockingbird became a kind of sacred text.
As I read Watchman what I see is more a Huckleberry Finn,Lake Woebegone days type humourous depiction of the foibles and idiosyncrasies of a small society.
She enjoys recreating the world of children's games with their rules and imagination. That's her literary gift.
The grown ups don't really seem that grown-up and are quite pretentious and self important. No wonder she didn't write another novel with the weight of solemn expectation placed on her.
For sure the race issue will become important as the book goes on and she does see things clearly. Reviewers describe the book as meandering but the meandering is much of what she is about,I think.
She actually finds these things funny and maybe has a satirist's eye for the absurdly comical and sometimes tragic in human life and behaviour.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Flann:
No wonder she didn't write another novel with the weight of solemn expectation placed on her.

That's what I think can be part of the down side to being successful, There's a projection of acclaim that becomes abusive in its perversion of realistic events.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

There is a lot going on in the novel and there is serious side to it which satire bites into. I've finished part two and am interested to see how it progresses.
Critics think she gets back on track in the middle of the book so it will be interesting to see how this develops.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

You know, I could not recall lake woebegone, of course Garrison Keillor, Prairie Home Companion. Good stuff. Mark Twain, Huck Finn, its some of what's good about this country, running barefoot, chasing what ever there is to chase.

Adventure, from a child's point of view, skirts the story we are into.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Taylor wrote:You know, I could not recall lake woebegone, of course Garrison Keillor, Prairie Home Companion. Good stuff. Mark Twain, Huck Finn, its some of what's good about this country, running barefoot, chasing what ever there is to chase.

Adventure, from a child's point of view, skirts the story we are into.
I suppose children see adult behaviour like never ending feuds as crazy,with adult explanations obviously absurd. But it's not enough. Jean Louise is older and will have to come to terms with reality in a different way.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Flann:
Critics think she gets back on track in the middle of the book so it will be interesting to see how this develops.
The time scale of this event is less than two weeks, (her holiday) It develops alright, and you'll be shocked, dismayed, disgruntled, You'll cry, vomit, and beat your head against the wall, You'll curse life, people, America, You'll wonder "what was in that ice cream",

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Flann:
Jean Louise is older and will have to come to terms with reality in a different way.
We can consider this a coming of age story, You right, there are things she'll confront, Idol worship, that's the theme of this story.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Taylor wrote:We can consider this a coming of age story, You right, there are things she'll confront, Idol worship, that's the theme of this story.
Maybe you're right Taylor and I'm not going to argue with all those heads. There are a few themes like authorities, servants,technology,law and traditions.
It's obvious she thinks the people of Maycomb have an absurdly inflated view of their importance.
The guy who it's called after Colonel Maycomb, got lost for several years in the Indian wars,and it's location and topography was dictated by a liquor store owner who souped up the surveyors with hooch.
It would have been in the swamp if sobriety had prevailed.
For many of course it's disappointing, but she was the kind of writer she was and not the patron saint of equality and liberation but she obviously sees the reality of injustice among other things.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Quote:
Isn't that part of the problem here in the states, we look to humans for answers that are bigger than all of us?.

CHRIS may banish you from booktalk for making such a statement and unleashing my thesis statement in response. In deference to my booktalk friends who have read my rants I will not respond here. I would suggest that your question be rephrased. "We humans look for answers to questions presuming there is an answer that is not based upon spiritual or scientific belief."

Just a thought, I'm not picking a fight this early in our dialogue.
Ahem!! Ahem!! - I am going to get sacked as discussion leader. These comments should be under the next demarkation. Part 2 - Chapters 4 and 5. I'm not going to move them (says she, as if she knew how to do that) but leave them here for the sake of continuity. I do think we might move on though to Part 2 Section. Lawrence is excused as he hasn't got a copy of the book yet.

I want to talk some more about the Baptism scene......but I'm going to do it under the next thread. Even then, I think it should be in Part 3 - which is the following thread.

This was bound to happen with yours truely as leader.......couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.......(I know this is a very vulgar saying, but it's the fault of Facebook - and my Australian lady friends who are inclined to call a spade a bloody shovel....and I like them.)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

Unread post

MS. PENNY, I think you are doing a splendid job and if Chris isn't complaining, he's happy.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Crystalline said she was not liking the book and LisaRose loves it, so I want to say to Crystal , please stay with us, we need your input. You are quite forthright and that is good. Furthermore, I would tell you that I didn't like Virginia Wolff's 'To the Lighthouse' but I liked it in retrospect because it lead to a good discussion where we all came out a bit more 'aware' than before.

Flann, gives us the most erudite and professional comments. Should be leader - needed here.

Landroid gave us a great 'push-off'' and started us off brilliantly but must be waiting for us to get to a bit that interests him. Come back!!!'
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Go Set a Watchman: A Novel - by Harper Lee”