• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Editors for Self-Published Authors

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
SMBowles
Getting Comfortable

Editors for Self-Published Authors

Unread post

When I began writing the quality of my work really didn't concern me. It was just for me, just for fun. Now I have two self-published titles and I am working on a third and I'm starting to think that if I am going to keep at it I really want to add some professional touches to my work. Searching for someone to help with editing (grammar, punctuation, etc.) has only turned up services that I honestly cannot afford. The same goes for book covers and so forth.

If anyone has used these types of services I am wondering what kind of success they have had and whether or not they are satisfied with the value of the investment(s) they've made. I would also be interested in recommendations for trustworthy and affordable companies or contractors that do this type of work.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: Editors for Self-Published Authors

Unread post

If you find out, let me know.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
David S Clarke
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I know this post is a bit old but I just went through the self-publishing process and thought I'd share a couple of things I learned. I did use professional editors but they were not easy to find. Not because of a scarcity of such services but because they either cost too much (as you found) or were booked so far in advance. I found a huge range of prices and how much you pay depends on the level of editing you request. Many offer package deals that include everything from development editing to copy/line editing to simple proofreading. I was fairly satisfied with the service I found and their prices were comparatively very reasonable. Unfortunately, just after they finished with my book, they temporarily suspended their services. Many editors like the ones I used have day jobs and do editing on the side.

I think one reason you are having trouble locating an editor that you can afford is due to the explosion in self-publishing and is a simple matter of supply and demand or what boils down to an editor's market. Having said that, as long as you look far enough ahead, you should be able to find someone suitable and affordable. I also believe that as hard and expensive as it is to find a good editor, it is absolutely essential because it's what will keep self-publishing professional and provide positive reading experiences for readers rather than turning them off with shoddy work.

For cover art I used Damonza.com. They are pricey but excellent. If you do a search on "Pre-designed book covers", you'll find many covers at very reasonable prices.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it—always.”
— Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.amazon.com/First-Destiny-Dav ... B00S8S7S0G

http://davidsclarke.com
[email protected]
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I went to my local NaNoWriMo group and advertised for someone, and got an English teacher who liked to read free books.

It is AWESOME. She's exceptionally good and she's used to picking out the mistakes I make. If she goes pro (and she's thinking of it) I'll post her name

But look at the resources already at your finger tips. Personally, I've found a lot of the professionals to be somewhat jaded. One, for example, just did a search on Word for the word 'that', highlighted them all and sent the manuscript back to me, wanting payment. Found more than 100 spelling errors she'd missed.
Robert Brady
Author of The Fovean Chronicles
http://www.swordsandsorcery.com
PFWhite
Official Newbie!

Unread post

So this, obviously, isn't the same as having an editor...but I thought I would go ahead and share the "work-around" I have been using for awhile now. There is a site called "Paper Rater" that has access to some of the most advanced grammar checking software in the world. It only allows you to submit up to 1500 words for free, but you can open up a bunch of browsers and just copy-paste into it over and over.

Here is the link: http://www.paperrater.com/free_paper_grader

If you are like me and have a HARD time with the various nuances of grammar, or just want a second pass through, it can be a real godsend. Again: It does NOT replace having a "real" editor, but it certainly HELPS.

Good luck!
Author of "Afterlife: A Novel of What Might Come Next"
http://www.amazon.com/Afterlife-Novel-W ... +Come+Next

Return to “Author's Lounge”