• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Going Clear - Chapter 1: The Convert

#137: May - July 2015 (Non-Fiction)
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Chapter 1: The Convert

Unread post

youkrst wrote:reminds me of when i was an impressionable and uncritical lad of 12 or so. (around '75)
a friend of the family was into scientology and had me doing some survey on that galvonometer thingy, two cans hooked up to a multimeter. (much to my Dad's (electronics technician) amusement)
it got me in though, being made the centre of attention hooked up to the meter and being asked questions, exciting stuff for the impressionable.
when you don't know yourself you tend to fall for this kinda stuff.
That time frame reminds me of a friend who almost got hooked into Scientology. At that time, they'd set up shop near a university and walk around handing out "intelligence tests". That got the attention of impressionable freshman, my friend included, who would then get "love bombed" (his phrase) once inside. Fortunately, a wiser older man was able to point out inconsistencies and talk him out of it in the nick of time. Later I saw them handing out "personality tests".

About 10 years ago saw them at a mall kiosk, talking to folks who looked like they were holding cans of beans, i.e. the E-meter. Haven't seen them since, don't know what their marketing approach is these days, perhaps it all starts (and ends) on line now... I expect they're getting desperate for new recruits.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

At the end of the introduction, Wright asks some questions we should raise during our discussions.
  • What is it that makes the religion alluring?
  • What do its adherents get out of it?
  • How can seemingly rational people subscribe to beliefs that others find incomprehensible?
  • Why do popular personalities associate themselves with a faith that is likely to create a kind of public relations martyrdom?
These questions are not unique to Scientology, but they certainly underscore the conversation. In attempting to answer them in this book, I hope we can learn something about what might be called the process of belief. ...
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:At the end of the introduction, Wright asks some questions we should raise during our discussions.
  • What is it that makes the religion alluring?
  • What do its adherents get out of it?
  • How can seemingly rational people subscribe to beliefs that others find incomprehensible?
  • Why do popular personalities associate themselves with a faith that is likely to create a kind of public relations martyrdom?
These questions are not unique to Scientology, but they certainly underscore the conversation. In attempting to answer them in this book, I hope we can learn something about what might be called the process of belief. ...
Good points for discussion. If I have a criticism of the book, it's that the analysis of these topics is fairly sparse, in my view. There is some of it along the way, mainly from Paul Haggis, and in the Epilogue Wright discusses Scientology in the context of the religious landscape. The reporting aspect tends to be somewhat overwhelming, and we can question how much more we learn the more the shenanigans of the two leaders are exposed.

Here is my impression of your first question. The really wacky stuff, the fantasy sci-fi history, isn't what draws people in. It's unclear to me just how much of this absurd material is given to initiates. What they're promised, in contrast to the more vague spiritual benefits of the older religions, are specific benefits that will improve their lives and make the planet better as everyone sheds their human weaknesses. The parallel with psychotherapy is close, but of course Hubbard went way beyond what therapy promised. Scientology adepts would become more powerful beings. This appears to play to selfish desires rather than spiritual ones, but selfish interest is also a general feature of religion.
Scientology provides a manual, so that there is no inefficient groping around for enlightenment, just a technology that is more attuned to the modern world. It's all done through taking courses.
Last edited by DWill on Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Re: Going Clear - Chapter 1: The Convert

Unread post

I agree DW. The only link they have to religion seems to be their tax break. I finally broke down and bought the audio book, because I've found myself bogged down with LRH's strange life in the next chapter.

1. I think it's the sense of belonging they feel when joining (at least in the early church). They go there under the pretense that someone is going to solve their problems. Then get sucked into taking their classes, and giving their money then they are hooked. The more creative people seem to find connections here that further their careers too. It's the average Joe walking into that place, or those who are scammed into signing the million year SeaOrg contract, who become mistreated slave labor here I think.

2. ?

3. People are brought into this slowly through the auditing, classes and leveling. All of the time spent doing all of this separates them from mainstream life as they get sucked further down the rabbit hole. So not sure how many start by believing at first, until they've completed the full experience. By then they are trapped by own belief, and then after total control is achieved, threats can be made, including shunning by family and friends if they don't tow the line.

4. The Stars have the better end of this deal, i.e. royal treatment. They can afford all extra counseling and auditing, necessary for them to be used as mouthpieces by the organization. To me there is something a little "off" about all the Scientology stars. Tom C., John T, and Kirstie A for instance tend to look like they've had a little too much of this organization's kool aid at times. This is most notable in one on one interviews and such
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I am wondering about ethics and ethical behavior,

Hubbard says that to be Clear, ethical and moral standards are high, but then he goes on to say that to be Clear is to possess the capability of killing people. Killing people over the phone no less. Where does the ethical and moral standards come if you live in a very isolated bubble? Society as a whole is not considered, norms and lawful behavior and ethical behavior that is expected of our society doesn't seem to be a factor in Hubbards world.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Fortunately, a wiser older man was able to point out inconsistencies and talk him out of it in the nick of time.
:appl: good to hear.
Suzanne wrote:Killing people over the phone no less.
ahhh yes i've known a few with that gift :-D some of them progress to where they can do it without the phone. :lol:
bravesouls56
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Scientology does indeed prey on people in need. I joined the military in 1976, stationed in Sacramento, CA. I was 19 and away from home for the first time. While sitting at a fast food restaurant I was approached by a pretty young lady who told me about this wonderful place I should check out and she took me there. Feeling lonely, I signed up for the basic Scientology course, figuring what's the harm. But the more I went to their "mission" the more I was persuaded to buy things I did not need. No money? No problem, I was told to take out a loan, as surely my life was worth it. I thought I was buying books for a course when all I got was a huge collection of L.Ron Hubbard books. Worthless, and out over a thousand dollars. But I was one of the "lucky" ones, as I found that many members at my base were being taken for a whole lot more. What saddened me about this experience was that the low level workers in Scientology truly seemed to be sincere, unaware that the higher ups were getting very wealthy off of their work. After a year in Scientology I can say without reservation that the program did nothing for me. For that I would need to go thru their e-meter sessions, something that I would need to invest thousands upon thousands of dollars. Fast forward today: Scientology bought an old hotel in Clearwater, FL and consistently "bullies" the town into getting their way. The Clearwater Marine Aquarium, a non-profit animal hospital who rescued Winter Dolphin tried to build a better facility for the animals, but Scientology fought them at every turn and won by default, as the marina just couldn't spend more money on the legal fight to acquire the land. Believe me when I say Scientolgy ruins every community where they establish a "church."

Return to “Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief - by Lawrence Wright”