• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

A U of Kentucky professor talks about teaching evolution

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: A U of Kentucky professor talks about teaching evolution

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
DB Roy wrote:And don't waste your time arguing with believers in aliens, they are just dumb-assed superstitious Christians in disguise.
Do you mean like Richard Dawkins? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weIx6PctSv8
Beware,the robot aliens are coming!!
ant wrote: Yeah, those blood sucking ignorant scientists and their ignorant search for little green men:

http://www.seti.org/
To be fair, Dawkins brackets his comments as pure speculation and use of imagination. His speculation about robots succeeding us he labels as a "science-fictiony" idea.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

DWill wrote:To be fair, Dawkins brackets his comments as pure speculation and use of imagination. His speculation about robots succeeding us he labels as a "science-fictiony" idea.
I know Dwill, and you're right.
Just a bit of mischievous fun, sticking R.D. into the role of dumb assed superstitious Christian in disguise!
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

To be fair, Dawkins brackets his comments as pure speculation and use of imagination.
Yes, science involves the use of imagination.
But to be fair, Dawkins speculation is without that which he prizes above all else - Evidence.

Remember, Dawkins once said that if he met God the first thing he'd say would say is "Where was the evidence, God?"

I can use my imagination here and say that Omnipotence would likely respond to Dawkins in the following manner:

Who is Richard Dawkins to expect anything from God?

That exchange is similar to the legendary exchange between Bohr and Einstein.

Einstein liked inventing phrases such as "God does not play dice," "The Lord is subtle but not malicious." On one occasion Bohr answered, "Einstein, stop telling God what to do."

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/ae63.htm
Last edited by ant on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Who is Richard Dawkins to expect anything from God?
Why shouldn't we expect evidence? The punishment for disbelief is spending an eternity in hell. Yet there is no reason for anything but disbelief. What sort of god engineers a universe that retarded? It doesn't make sense. We should expect evidence, if our everlasting soul is at stake, don't you think? Or is our everlasting soul of no concern to god? It's a house of cards.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Why shouldn't we expect evidence?
wtf are you talking about?
ask Richard Dawkins that, okay? He's the one that would ask for it, and expects it.

I have his email address.
Let me know if you want me to PM it to you.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:wtf are you talking about?
ask Richard Dawkins that, okay? He's the one that would ask for it, and expects it.
You're the one ridiculing the expectation ant. Why is the expectation ridiculous?

Honestly, there should be a timelock on your reply button. No reply allowed until you read the post 10 times. :razz2:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:wtf are you talking about?
You're the one ridiculing the expectation ant. Why is the expectation ridiculous?

Honestly, there should be a timelock on your reply button. No reply allowed until you read the post 10 times. :razz2:

Was it ridiculing it?
I was actually imagining what a God might say.

Even imagining what a God might say to a mortal is enough to set your pink panties on fire.
It's quite sexy to see you get all hot and bothered every time someone mentions God.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Even imagining what a God might say to a mortal is enough to set your pink panties on fire.
It's quite sexy to see you get all hot and bothered every time someone mentions God.
No different from people mentioning Thetans. What gets me hot and bothered isn't the god, it's that living breathing people think he's real. I smack my forehead. It's like we're fantasizing about what Cthulu would look like coming up out of the ocean. That would set my pink panties on fire also. Or what a super-god might look like, the god of gods above even the Christian god, ruler of all the universes, not just this one. I think my pink panties would turn brown at that one. It's all just fantasy, but people actually, truly believe it's real. :slap:
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
ant wrote:Even imagining what a God might say to a mortal is enough to set your pink panties on fire.
No different from people mentioning Thetans. What gets me hot and bothered isn't the god, it's that living breathing people think he's real. I smack my forehead. It's like we're fantasizing about what Cthulu would look like coming up out of the ocean. That would set my pink panties on fire also. Or what a super-god might look like, the god of gods above even the Christian god, ruler of all the universes, not just this one. I think my pink panties would turn brown at that one. It's all just fantasy, but people actually, truly believe it's real. :slap:

I guess what matters most is behavior and how beliefs manifest themselves in the world.
And again, your reaction to what some people believe is related to what you can not control in your personal life. that's what bothers you most, I think.
It's reducible to that.
I suggest you try wearing some briefs one day and see how that works out for you.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:And again, your reaction to what some people believe is related to what you can not control in your personal life. that's what bothers you most, I think.
It's reducible to that.
No, I've been this fascinated with people's Matrix-style delusion most of my life. The more recent in-law examples are just to show the negative impact religion has on me. I've had other experiences too, the nightmares from going to a fire and brimstone baptist church with my gramma. But really, it boils down to that mind-boggling wonder I have when discussing things with someone like Stahrwe. He retreats into corners where he's forced to conclude that logic is wrong. Didn't you step foot into that camp in one post? I think you burnt your foot a little. An invisible slippery slope.

Return to “Science & Technology”