• In total there are 43 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

The purpose behind causation

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The purpose behind causation

Unread post

johnson wrote:purpose is the product of an intelligence.
The theist will say that purpose is evident in parts of nature. Therefore, it indicates a responsible intelligence, since purpose is the product of intelligence. Saying that it's an illusion(which mostly captures what is happening) sounds like a conspiracy theory to them. How would you explain to them that nature creates things which appear to have purpose created by intelligence?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: The purpose behind causation

Unread post

Interbane:
The theist will say that purpose is evident in parts of nature. Therefore, it indicates a responsible intelligence, since purpose is the product of intelligence. Saying that it's an illusion(which mostly captures what is happening) sounds like a conspiracy theory to them. How would you explain to them that nature creates things which appear to have purpose created by intelligence?

This is the tough part. Things really are complicated and difficult to understand. Well, lets say, counter-intuitive. We have a number of short-cut understandings that give us an immediate picture which we can use to manuever the world, but those are much less accurate than we imagine.

It's easy to say that out immune system's "purpose" is to fight disease. But it's not.

That's what our immune system ends up doing. It's an emergent property. There's a whole heck of a lot of disease that our immune system is totally inadequate to deal with.

That's because it isn't FOR "fighting disease". It developed in tandem with certain cells from outside our bodies which cause harm. Those organisms which had ways of making it difficult for those foreign cells to thrive had better survival rates, and using those survivors as a jumping off point you get better and better survivability against certain foreign bodies. But that doesn't mean our immune system "fights disease". It sucks at repelling virus, proteons, cancers, genetic disease, and deterioration from external sources, and some of these it doesn't attack at all.

It's more accurate to describe natural systems in terms of "that's what it does" rather than "that's what it's for."

I don't know of an easy way to distill that yet without typing an enormous amount of information. Even what i've typed is too long for the kind of snap understanding people crave. I typed all that knowing i was speaking to you. Knowing you already know it. And i still feel like it kinda needs more explaining. It's not susinct.

I don't know any way around it except to have people really dive into it themselves and get to know some physics and biology.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Science & Technology”