• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Official Poll - Sept/Oct 2004 Book of the Month(s)

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: Official Poll - Sept/Oct 2004 Book of the Month(s)

Unread post

Add me to the getting What is Good no matter what list. I voted for it and if it wins I will finally not have my reading time cut short by library return date. Yay!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

ROFL! No! Chris "For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them"
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

deadcity12Quote:. . .the future of life. if it doesn't win,. . . then ALL bets are pretty much off, aren't they? Oh wait, did you mean the BOOK? If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I voted for What Is Good? by Grayling. BTW- deadcity12: Do not fret, for as this poll shows, a losing book from a former poll can do well on the next poll. Many of us are interested in reading Wilson, myself included.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Future of life, 'cause I haven't read any of Wilson's books.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Of course I don't know how Future of Life is, not having read it yet, but I think Consilience is a towering work. And if you are interested in the more technical aspects of Life, Sociobiology is definitely worth while. A warning though: it's a biology book, reputation aside. There is only one chapter about humans. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Katala Au

Unread post

I also voted for What is Good? (so hopefully I'm actually able to get a copy of it). I would love to read either the Wilson or Atran book too...As no one has said anything about Atran, I'd just like to add that I've read a number of academic papers he's written and some chapters in a book he co-editored on another topic (Folkbiology). It's really exciting stuff...I would assume this book would be, too, and it's been on my wishlist for ages...hopefully we'll get to it at some stage Nicole
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

I voted for Wilson's 'Future of Life'.I'm interested in tackling the economic, technological, philosophical and spiritual pressures that impact this fragile biosphere we call 'Life'.I'm also somewhat familiar with Wilson's work in Sociobiology (my Undergraduate introduction to Evolution and Biology was an immersion in his theory) and I was very impressed with his book, 'Consilience'.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

This is going to be close race it seems. Chris "For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them"
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

I proposed it so I voted for it.Besides, when we saw Grayling he was a very witty and well-informed speaker he will make a great guest if we can get him to chat.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”