Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Who is reading this book? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: Who is reading this book?
I'm very happy to hear that you'll be joining us on this one, Penny. :-)

Demon-Haunted World will stimulate your brain because it gets you thinking about so many fascinating topics. But the actual reading is not difficult, unlike some of our other past book choices.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Penelope
Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:47 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

In view of the recent atrocities in Paris: I think it is important that we, as the human race, look towards becoming more scientific in our outlook. However, from personal experience, I know that this attitude cannot be forced. The French are a nation who won't be pushed about, it is always 'Vive la Liberte' and hence the huge outcry at the killings of those journalists and cartoonists of Charlie Hebron. Whilst I would stand with them and declare 'Je suis Charlie', I would also point out that those journalists did provoke the fundamentalist Muslims, who imagined that their prophet was being insulted.

I can't help but remember the Warrington Bombings by the IRA in 1993. I was in Warrington on that Saturday morning when two innocent little boys were killed by a bomb placed in a bin outside MacDonalds. It was the day before Mothering Sunday.....as though they deliberately targetted innocent kids who they must have known were shopping for presents for their Mums. I certainly will never forget seeing children standing around with bunches of flowers, who could not get home for hours because the bus routes had been stopped. Those kids did not do anything to provoke the IRA..........

If we have fundamentalist lunatics among us (and I think we always will have them).....perhaps it is not a good idea to provoke them. A bit like poking a stick at a sleeping tiger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrington_bomb_attacks

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

The following user would like to thank Penelope for this post:
geo, Suzanne
Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:56 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

I will browse through the book Chris, and participate as best I can. My time is limited with the new years.

Penny wrote:
If we have fundamentalist lunatics among us (and I think we always will have them).....perhaps it is not a good idea to provoke them. A bit like poking a stick at a sleeping tiger.

And yet if we leave them alone, the sleeping tigers reproduce. Before we know it, we tiptoe through life in fear because they're all around us. I say we poke them until they leave, and if they attack we bring ourselves to bear against them. What sort of a world is it that have to be afraid if our jokes will get us killed?

The following user would like to thank Interbane for this post:
youkrst
Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:24 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

I will be reading along.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:10 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Quote:
Interbane wrote:

Before we know it, we tiptoe through life in fear because they're all around us. I say we poke them until they leave, and if they attack we bring ourselves to bear against them.

Your opinion seems to be the general consensus of opinion, Interbane; but I think there is a lot to be said for keeping the peace as far as we can. I am thinking of Gandhi's passive resistance movement.

"I believe that it is impossible to end hatred with hatred." --Mahatma Gandhi, 23 November 1924

Rafael Sabatini

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:42 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I will re-read this, it was an important book to me, changed my thinking quite a bit...
BT had a thread a long time ago asking which book you would put into a time capsule that would be opened in 100 years. I nominated this one thinking a candle in the dark would still be required...

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Gold Contributor

My copy has arrived. It is a lovely hardback in a dustwrapper with a protective sleeve, and it's a first edition. It was such a bargain at £6.00. It has one small ex-library stamp on the title page, reading 'Wiltshire Library and Museum Service', and it came from 'Baldwin's Scientific Books, Bishops Witham, Essex'. If any of you want scarce scientific books, his web address is 'fossilbooks.co.uk' email 'sbaldwin@fossilbooks.co.uk.

Rafael Sabatini

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:29 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Got the book from our library yesterday. Plan to start reading this weekend.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

I also got the book at my local library yesterday (Thursday, 1-15-15), and hppe to be able to keep up.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:56 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Got the book, started reading...feels slightly formidable...not sure I can wade through it ...will keep reading!
As for freedom of speech, I agree with Penelope. I'm all for freedom of speech, etc., but maybe we should not do or say totally/highly offensive things just because we can...I'm offended by offensive art, press, etc., which ridicules my religion, our nationality, our culture. I shrug it off, but it is hurtful. Maybe leadership and media should try to emphasize civility and kindness to others, rather than "say or do anything you want, just because you can..."

Ok, sorry, this is not about the book...
I'm on Chapter 2...will try to comment after the weekend :)!

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:00 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Quote:
crystalline wrote:

Ok, sorry, this is not about the book...

'Tis about the book. It is about the purpose of the book rather than the content of the book. The purpose of the book being to deter people from holding fanatical beliefs without demanding evidence......I think. :hmm:

Rafael Sabatini

The following user would like to thank Penelope for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:16 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

To those who may be wondering why I have not posted here, my eyes are still in recovery mode from my recent cataract surgery. Just can't handle the small print yet. Sorry, as the topic is fascinating.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:30 pm
Profile Email

I've read through chapter 6 and am wanting to give up reading this book. People believe what they want to believe regardless of scientific proof or lack of it. I'm finding it somewhat repetitive and the small print is also difficult on my eyes...yes, I'm old :)...undecided...

The following user would like to thank Crystalline for this post:
Cattleman
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Awe Cattleman and Crystaline

You could still join in the discussion because I never stick to the topic anyway!!! LOL

Seriously though, it is interesting where these discussions lead. I agree with you Crystaline that it does seem a bit repetitive - in that he seems to give a lot of thought to aliens and flying saucers. I think that might be because he's an astro-physicist.

Rafael Sabatini

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:16 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2