• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Carl Sagan interview "The Demon-Haunted World"

#136: Feb. - Mar. 2015 (Non-Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Carl Sagan interview "The Demon-Haunted World"

Unread post

tbarron wrote:When you say, "the concept of reality means everything that exists through all of time and space," are you suggesting that past and future times are real, that they exist now?
“Real” does not mean “exists now”. The scientific record refers to what really happened in the past, whereas religious myths are imaginary. Time is real, exhibiting material causality. That means the past is real, even though it is different from the present and no longer exists except through its causal influence on the present. The reality of the future is not so simple since we do not know how deterministic our universe really is, but there are major facts, such as the stellar main sequence and galactic redshift, that can be strongly predicted.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I've read Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors and it was a good book but I don't remember it being extraordinary in any respect. Still a pleasant read but I'd rather see/hear Sagan than read him, I guess... No better scientific personality and has yet to be duplicated today. We have nothing... Tyson is garbage compared with Sagan but they still try and pump him up as if he's filling his shoes. Sad. :(
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Particularly when NDT decides he has nothing better to do during the xmas holidays and decides one morning to troll the Christian community.

One wonders why on earth a scientist would have nothing better to do.
I guess that's what happens when a scientist becomes more celebrity than scientist.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/neil-degras ... as-tweets/
Last edited by ant on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark - by Carl Sagan with Ann Druyan”