• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Book dropped from publication

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lolliebrain
Official Newbie!

Book dropped from publication

Unread post

I really need help!! Last year I published an e-book with Dip-Press publications. Several months ago I got this email from them;

----
We have worked hard and exhausted every angle to maintain our course of action as it pertains to your title. Unfortunately our only remaining option at this time is to cease production/distribution of all projects indefinitely. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. This decision was not made without thoughtful consideration to what we have built and everyone involved.

Any funds due to you shall be mailed after the deduction of production, registration, distribution, and stocking costs. In the event the sum of costs exceeds that of revenues due to you as the Author you will not be held responsible for the balance. From there our existing agreement shall simply expire with all balances considered paid allowing you to pursue other interests with you work.

Any existing eBook or print book currently in circulation shall be removed and taken within the next 30 days.

----end email ----

I emailed them back asking for clarification but got no answer. I checked retailers over the next few weeks and found the book was still available and could be bought. It has since disappeared. I know that at least a few copies of my book were sold as I have friends who purchased it but I've seen no money and I couldn't find the sales figures although they told me they would be made available. I feel as though I've been kept in the dark about much of this publishing venture and can't help wondering if I've been the victim of a scam.

So I have a few questions;

1 - Has anyone here had any experience with Dip Press publications?
2 - How should I proceed with sales? Should I seek out a new publisher or just print the manuscript and sell it myself? I'm considering giving up and simply posting it online.
3 - What the hell is going on??
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Book dropped from publication

Unread post

Here's a great resource on avoiding publishing and agent scammer: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

1 - Has anyone here had any experience with Dip Press publications?

Not me, but I've dealt with other small publishers
2 - How should I proceed with sales? Should I seek out a new publisher or just print the manuscript and sell it myself? I'm considering giving up and simply posting it online.

You might not be able to - although they aren't publishing you, they might own your rights and, if they do, then those rights go to their creditors, even if they don't publish
3 - What the hell is going on??

Small publishers go out of business all the time. The vast majority of them are created by medium-sized authors using their new publishing company to credit their own work, and you're along for the ride. They tend to cut deals with Lightening Press and other groups to print for them at a discount. Some (Like Sky Warrior) simply transfer your work to the Amazon, Barnes and Noble and SmashBooks medium and print as an e-book.

You can get really stuck when you sign with these guys.
Robert Brady
Author of The Fovean Chronicles
http://www.swordsandsorcery.com
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Lolliebrain,

I am sorry you had that experience.

If you will email a one page summary of your book as well as a pdf file of page 99 to:
[email protected]

I will see if it is a title my publishing company might consider. I offer both e-book and paperback publishing with a traditional royalty based plan. My business is a member of the Independent Book Publishing Association. I charge authors nothing, zero, zilch for publishing their work.

Wayne
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “Author's Lounge”