• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

1 King Henry IV - Synopsis

#135: Dec. - Jan. 2015 (Fiction)
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: 1 King Henry IV - Synopsis

Unread post

JJ_Co wrote:This synopsis reads like a Hollywood plot.
Hi JJ_Co. These plays were written to be performed as entertainment for a wide audience, from the upper middle class to the lower middle class. Much like movies are today. Here's the title page for the first quarto of 1 Henry IV (1598), which actually resembles a movie poster. The quartos, however, were printed versions of the play for sale, so apparently Shakespeare's fans also read the plays as we are doing now.

Image\

Shakespeare's audience would have been well familiar with the important historical events which 1 Henry IV was based on. I'm guessing historical accuracy wasn't a big concern. Shakespeare made many changes from his historical sources for dramatic purposes. The title page is hyped up, promising historical drama and intrigue as well as "humorous conceits of Sir John Falstaff." A good time is to be had by all.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:I saw the play a few years ago at the Blackfriars' Theatre in Staunton, VA, a recreation of the first stage Shakespeare's company used. From an entertainment standpoint, of course the play is all Falstaff, and we saw a good actor playing the part. He is the prototypical hard act to follow, which made the "serious stuff" in the play of somewhat secondary interest.
Hey, DWill, hope you can participate in this discussion.

My Arden Shakespeare version of the play includes a lengthy introduction by David Scott Kastan, who says that that there are many ways to interpret the play, and that playing up Falstaffs' comedic role is a relatively recent trend. There are actually four equal strands in the play—involving King Henry IV, Prince Hal, Hotspur and Falstaff. One of the play's "brilliant prismatic achievements," according to Kastan, is the equal sharing of these four distinct plot lines. Kastan seems to suggest that, historically, this play is more of a political drama than as a vehicle for Falstaff. Shakespeare's main purpose for Falstaff was as a foil for Prince Hal, and there's an underlying context about father and son relationships as well

"Indeed, 1 Henry IV is a play no less about relationships than about character:about subjects and rulers, fathers and sons, nephews and uncles, wives and husbands, and about friends. Hal's transformation from the truant prince of the tavern scenes to the chivalric hero on the battlefield at Shrewsbury is, no doubt, the central trajectory that the play traces, but 1 Henry IV i concerned as much with the complex social formation of England as it is with the complex moral formation of the king who will run day rule over it as Henry V."

It will be interesting to see one of the movie versions of this play to see how these various strands play out.

That's cool that you've already seen this play. Have you seen other Shakespeare plays?
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

geo wrote: That's cool that you've already seen this play. Have you seen other Shakespeare plays?
Hi geo, hope you're doing well. I've seen just a few performances and have watched several films of the plays, but since getting out of school ages ago really haven't paid the attention to Elizabethan drama that I'd like to have. Speaking of that subject, one of the best classes I had at Colo. State was called "Non-Shakespearean Elizabethan Drama." We read plays by Webster and Tourner, Marlowe, Dekker, Fletcher, Kyd, and probably a couple of others. Some of it was over my head at the time, but it was a good stretch. The point of the course was to show that, although Shakespeare is the tallest mountain of the age, there were other peaks as well. The literary environment was amazingly rich.

I'll keep your invitation in mind. I've been onto a French language thing lately and am trying to focus on it. I always run the danger of spreading myself too thin.

After all these years of living 60 miles from DC, my wife and I finally made it to the Folger Shakespeare Museum a few weeks ago. We didn't see a play, just had an interesting tour of the place. A memorable factoid: the most valuable Shakespeare manuscript is a text of Titus Andronicus, Shakespeare's most violent play by far. Only one manuscript is known to exist.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Everything downloaded and will start tonight. Looking forward
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Reading a chronology of William Shakespeare I see that he and Cervantes died about the same time.
Naturally I wondered if they new of each other or of each others work.

Its interesting that these two were worlds apart but yet producing very similar ideas in their work.

I deleted a link to an article speculating on these two having known each other.

Return to “King Henry IV, Part 1 (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series) (Pt. 1) - by William Shakespeare”