• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What are you reading right now?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread post

I was going to start reading SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE, but then I got to reading Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER. This is a rather odd piece; it's kind of like Charles Bukowski writing about his growing artistic years if he decided to go off on obscure metaphorical bents.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Deanna_Anderson
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Where the Lilies Bloom by Vera and Bill Cleaver
Author & Freelance Writer andersondeanna.weebly.com

~*You don't have to see the top of the staircase to take the first step*~
JJ_Co
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm reading Foundation A History of England by Peter Ackroyd. I'm reading it more for the author than for the subject matter, though the author does present the subject matter in a compelling manner.

Generally speaking, however, I'm reading at least ten books. I start them, come back to them, read them according to the mood I'm in. I can be like this with people too, though across even longer periods. I might not see someone for years, but when I see him or her again, I connect right back up where I left things. Sometimes I think this habit makes me a bit scattered (the reading habit, that is). Other times I think it's because of how the world works, they we are as people. We watch lots of different TV programs in a given period according to the mood we're in, don't we? In fact, strange that to read lots of different books in the one period of my life might mean that I'm scattered, whereas to watch a single TV series from Netflix or wherever in the one sitting (instead of watching three or four different programs in the one evening) means that I'm a "binge" watcher.

Is anyone else reading lots of different books right now (in a given period) as opposed to just the one book?
Hal Henry
Master Debater

Unread post

I'm reading "Gone Girl." by Gillian Flynn; I have an affinity for reading books, imagining how it might be turned into a screenplay, then seeing the actual movie. Began with "The Maltese Falcon" and continued thru my college studies and now into advanced age. I just finished Terry Hayes epic thriller "I Am Pilgrim" and Barbara Leaming's wonderful bio of Orson Welles (of the many, MANY Welles books I've read over the years, this is by far the best). Usually I have 4-5-6 books going, including one in the outhouse ("Contrary to Popular Opinion," by Alan Dershowitz) and one in the indoor facility ("Material Dreams," Kevin Starr's history of southern California thru the 1920s). I find that between these two locations alone, I can read a couple dozen books a year, and I often wonder how people who don't read are even ABLE to have BMs. Also, I'm reading to my wife while she knits: James Ellroy's "Perfidia." Having been born and raised in Ellay, I can translate for her all the pop culture and geographic references of SoCal in the 40s-50s-60s. She could do the same for me, except that there don't seem to be any thrillers written about Indianapolis, and I don't knit.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hal Henry wrote:Also, I'm reading to my wife while she knits...
This is beautiful to hear. A sign of a good marriage and relationship for sure. There is something inherently pleasurable to read aloud or to have a book read to you aloud.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:To CoolSummer. I have read all five of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, and looking forward to No. 6. I also saw seasons 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones on DVD (my daughter loaned them to me). If I had not read the books, I would not have understood what was going on in the videos. I wonder if others feel this way, and would like to hear from someone who has seen the TV series, but not read the books. Did you ever feel you were missing somtheing???
I've only watched a few episodes here and there of the show. I have the first book, and have tried reading through it multiple times. I hope to finish it at some point, and the writing is great, but it's dense and I'm struggling with several other books at the moment.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Right now I am reading the 2004 autobiography "Its Not Easy Being Me" by Rodney Dangerfield.
In Chapter 8 he tells a story about his pot smoking;
" When you're high, you become an avid reader. I remember one night I smoked some pot, then started reading the newspaper. An hour later, I said to myself, what am I doing? I was reading about fishing conditions in Anchorage. And I don't even fish. And the paper was a month old"

I admire that level of concentration :lol:
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:To CoolSummer. I have read all five of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, and looking forward to No. 6. I also saw seasons 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones on DVD (my daughter loaned them to me). If I had not read the books, I would not have understood what was going on in the videos. I wonder if others feel this way, and would like to hear from someone who has seen the TV series, but not read the books. Did you ever feel you were missing somtheing???
I actually saw the first season before I began the books. I usually find that there is a lot more to any story to be found in a book. I am so glad I read them. I have to admit, when I see the show there are times I sit back a little critically thnikng wow that was really different. I am so glad I decided to read them as well as watching in retrospect. Sorry I took so long with my reply, I was ill over the holiday and didn't do much on the internet.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:
I've only watched a few episodes here and there of the show. I have the first book, and have tried reading through it multiple times. I hope to finish it at some point, and the writing is great, but it's dense and I'm struggling with several other books at the moment.
Try to see them all when you get a chance. The producers of this show made it visually stunning. Truly amazing to see it all come to life. Even all of the casting seems spot on to me.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Achilles in Vietnam ~ by Jonathan Shay, M.D. Ph.D.

from Amazon;
An original and groundbreaking book that examines the psychological devastation of war by comparing the soldiers of Homer’s Iliad with Vietnam veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder

In this strikingly original and groundbreaking book, Dr. Shay examines the psychological devastation of war by comparing the soldiers of Homer’s Iliad with Vietnam veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Although the Iliad was written twenty-seven centuries ago it has much to teach about combat trauma, as do the more recent, compelling voices and experiences of Vietnam vets.

One of the absolute best books I've ever read.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”