• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

A Review of Three Movies I Watched Recently...

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: A Review of Three Movies I Watched Recently...

Unread post

ant wrote:
Chris OConnor wrote:Interstellar is on my list too but I'll wait till it hits NetFlix.

Tyson gave it a pretty good review for accuracy.
It was pretty good. A bit longer than perhaps it should have been or could have been.
There are some common themes in it (future environmental catastrophes, love, intrepidity, boldly going where no man has gone before, etc).

Scientifically accurate? Well they made one mistake that most people would miss, I think.

The main character (Matthew M) said it would take a thousand years to get to the nearest star system (Alpha C)
He was wrong. It would take closer to 100K to get there with our current capabilities. And the movie didnt mention that space flight capabilities had advanced much. :P

I thought the movie was going to have a bit more theoretical dialogue.

Overall it was pretty good.

A doctor that is an acquaintance of mine went to the premier as a guest of the primary science consultant for the movie. I forgot his name but he now holds the "Richard Feynman Chair" at Cal Tech in Pasadena.
Everybody keeps talking about it, so I would probably go see it with my dad. The male lead has done some stuff recently that I enjoyed, such as Richard Linklater's 2011 dark comedy BERNIE.

My only reservation is with the director Christopher Nolan. While I enjoyed his Batman trology, the movies had some serious problems, the last one most especially. And with INCEPTION I got tired with it quickly; too much pop psychology and a lot of pretencious bull crap trying to pass off as something more. The only positive from that film for me was Ellen Page.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”