• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Scarlet and the Keepers of Light by Brandon Charles West

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DianeD+
Getting Comfortable

Scarlet and the Keepers of Light by Brandon Charles West

Unread post

I was looking for a YA or fantasy forum to more appropriately post this book recommendation and discussion - but it's here, because I see neither! I read a LOT of fantasy and young adult, and I tend to gravitate to books that include both. But, for some reason, a lot of books that hold these themes don't really make it for me. They are either thinly disguised 'coming of age' stories that use only the barest trappings of fantasy, or they are fantasies that don't really delve much into the young adult psyche.

Perhaps that's why Scarlet and the Keepers of Light was a standout for me: Brandon West took the time to create a compelling and multi-dimensional young protagonist AND a solid fantasy setting complete with insights on family connections and influences - and I like that, and recommend this for other readers of either genre.

Its premise is simple: If your puppy suddenly grew to become twice the size of the biggest dog and began talking, wouldn't you suspect something was wrong? And if you stumbled on a prophecy that indicated that you were to play a key role in a bigger picture, what would you do?

Scarlet and the Keepers of Light presents just such a dilemma when Scarlet Hopewell discovers that her world is anything but ordinary and predictable. Her perception of reality vastly expands when the barriers between magical and non-magical worlds is breached - but that's not the end of it; it's the beginning of a very dangerous game indeed - one that's centered around Scarlet's decisions and choices.

Now, this is directed to a younger audience of pre-teen into teen readers. But the inclusion of many insights into her family and influences are what sets Scarlet and the Keepers of Light apart from your usual light fantasy read - and this is an essential ingredient: without it, Scarlet would be just another "child goes on epic quest' read. With this added flavor, it's much more.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”