• In total there are 50 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Sexism in Science

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: Sexism in Science

Unread post

I'm in college now, and I've noticed my friends in the Engineering study talking about how women are met with harsh rejection. I never understood this mentailty.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

If sexism as a concept didn't really become until the 1960's how fair is it to label what came before as being sexist?

Having read through a number of available articles I am fairly convinced that woman have a historic marginalization held against them in the STEM fields.

Is it fair to say that there is theory bias involved? I'm not truly convinced as even though some men have stolen credit for subordinate concepts the theories still contain within them the female participants work. In certain cases the entire crux of these theories depend on female perspective. I may be wrong but it may well be that the men taking credit for some of this theoretical work are doing so from the female bias without even realizing they are doing so?.

How much of the currant thinking has the bias of political correctness attached and shouldn't that also be eliminated as bias as well?.

I admit I think that Ant brings some very important ideas to the table but when does some of these ideas that Ant offers up become bogged down in splitting hairs, or have I over simplified the topic?, or have I trolled up the wrong thing entirely?
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Attempting to expand here on my previous post;

If then the male scientist is in fact unwittingly proffering female bias, shouldn't the female be able to distinguish the difference and let it be known?.

Is there an article about any theory out there that shows the difference between these biases? I would like to read these differences for myself. ( sort of same subject but with female verses male presentation?)
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... p-and-die/

This dummy wore a "sexually charged" shirt to a much anticipated conference.

To a conference where youre going to have the spotlight on you??
Really??

Two words - social idiot

And of course the internet has plenty of idiots who are dying to react in their customary idiotic fashion.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Really??

Two words - social idiot
The shirt is no doubt about it, what not to wear to a news conference. But with it we know he likes infantile images of women.

So in a sense we have that going for us, he also balled like a baby after his apology, showing us that he has feelings too?, I'm wondering if an adult is going to teach him how to buy big people clothes any time soon?.

By the way wasn't something landed on something?.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Taylor wrote:

Really??

Two words - social idiot
The shirt is no doubt about it, what not to wear to a news conference. But with it we know he likes infantile images of women.

So in a sense we have that going for us, he also balled like a baby after his apology, showing us that he has feelings too?, I'm wondering if an adult is going to teach him how to buy big people clothes any time soon?.

By the way wasn't something landed on something?.
great post. Made me laugh!
Exactly

As to who might be able to teach him how to buy clothes, maybe someone can send him an algorithm that will improve his selection process.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

As to who might be able to teach him how to buy clothes, maybe someone can send him an algorithm that will improve his selection process.
That just made me burst out laughing.

You are relentless
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I work in biotech and know there are regulations in place to avoid sexism. But I believe there may be differences in research labs which are academic rather than business based. It is true that most upper level science staff are still male, but even that is changing albeit slowly. Sometimes I think people wno complain about this kind of thing have valid points based on situation. You also must add into the equation people who have a higher opinion of their abilities, and will point fingers at anything else to avoid examining themselves.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”