• In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Retirement Basics: Help for Broke Baby Boomers by Donna Davis

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DianeD+
Getting Comfortable

Retirement Basics: Help for Broke Baby Boomers by Donna Davis

Unread post

Yes (cough), I am a baby boomer, having been born in the mid-1950s. And while I wouldn't say I am exactly 'broke', like most Boomers, I haven't put enough thought into retirement - and am only now beginning to formulate a plan - largely thanks to the inviting discussions in Donna Davis's Retirement Basics: Help for Broke Baby Boomers.

Davis doesn't assume the aging reader has made any prior plans, or that readers are monied or even necessarily employed.

She assumes little prior knowledge and outlines many of the tools readers can easily use to gain exact information about their benefits and when they will be paid. Website links provided within the book go directly to key areas of information, such as those covering full retirement age or the Social Security Planner.

At each step of the way, Retirement Basics offers a combination of Davis' own experiences and strategies that work. The addition of this 'personal touch' makes for a far more accessible product for the general-interest reader who has had limited exposure to financial concepts and doesn't have much insight into retirement's possible options.

Two thumbs up - now, back to planning!

Competing titles cover most of these nuts and bolts, but use dense language and terminology that doesn't make for a smooth, flowing read. Retirement Basics: Help for Broke Baby Boomers is different: its purpose is to cover a range of options, offer explanations that are easily digested, and reach baby boomers in particular, with their special retirement issues and options. With its wealth of possibilities, anyone nervous about their upcoming retirement will come away from Retirement Basics feeling better informed and more confident about all the positive signs on their retirement horizon.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”